Cannot Find BaseSystem.dmg For iMac SSD Replacment

I've recently got ahold on an old iMac 2008 and wanted to use it, it had a Hard Drive in it but it was my uncles, i gave the hard drive to my uncle and installed a 128GB SSD instead. I attempted to follow a toturial from apple and a third party website and they did not work.

The third party website said to get the BaseSystem.dmg for the install. Apple said just the installer dmg. For the apple one it didnt work, for the third party one i cant find the BaseSystem.dmg. I dont have any other iMac or MacBook laying around. I have confirmed the usb works & formated correctly as i put High Sierra on the usb (using the BaseSystem i doownload online) and it did show up but ofcourse i was unable to install that on the iMac as it was a newer version then the one its suppose to have.

Does anyone have any fix for this.

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on May 23, 2024 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2024 10:19 PM

Hey Thank you for helping me but the issue is still not fixed. The iMac has a SSD but with no data or OS to it. I've attempted to use macOS Recovery but its just a white screen (Same screen as when do nothing). I have no other iMac or MacBook laying around and i have tried the bootable installer from apple but my iMac doesnt recognize it. I've tried EFIU mode or something and that would freeze the computer.

The only thing that has worked so far is the High Sierra BaseSystem attempt but a prohibited sign came up as ofcourse it was not compatible with the iMac.

The USB is formatted correctly, has tried from apple's website & have tried MacOS Recovery but doesn't work for some reason.

Still looking for a fix.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2024 10:19 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey Thank you for helping me but the issue is still not fixed. The iMac has a SSD but with no data or OS to it. I've attempted to use macOS Recovery but its just a white screen (Same screen as when do nothing). I have no other iMac or MacBook laying around and i have tried the bootable installer from apple but my iMac doesnt recognize it. I've tried EFIU mode or something and that would freeze the computer.

The only thing that has worked so far is the High Sierra BaseSystem attempt but a prohibited sign came up as ofcourse it was not compatible with the iMac.

The USB is formatted correctly, has tried from apple's website & have tried MacOS Recovery but doesn't work for some reason.

Still looking for a fix.

May 24, 2024 9:18 AM in response to LuckyTheGrumpyCat

The simplest option would be to get the old hard drive back and boot from it so you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer.

Create a bootable installer for macOS (includes link to download installers) - Apple Support

The other option would be to get the OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and start from there & then upgrade to macOS 10.11 El Capitan.

Or install Linux Mint onto the new SSD which would give you are current non-Apple OS with access to the current versions of the popular web browsers (Firefox, Vivaldi, Chrome, etc.) and lots of free open source software such as LibreOffice. This does require you to learn a new OS. Linux is not for everyone though,, but it is a great way to extend the useful life of an older computer. You can even check out what it is like by selecting the "Live" option when booting the Linux Mint USB installer although it will run extremely slow from the USB stick (it will run much better when installed onto the internal SSD).

May 23, 2024 12:59 PM in response to LuckyTheGrumpyCat

10.11.6 is the highest you can install o a 2008 iMac.

Use a web browser for older versions

These older macOS versions are available as disk images that you can download using your web browser. To get the installer from the disk image, you must use a Mac that is compatible with that macOS.

1. Use these links to download a macOS disk image (.dmg) file. If these links don't work as expected, try again using Safari, which is in your Applications folder.
  1. Double-click the .dmg file to open it and see the package (.pkg) file within.
  2. Double-click the .pkg file, then follow the onscreen instructions to install the macOS installer into your Applications folder.
  3. Open your Applications folder and double-click the macOS installer, named Install [Version Name]. Follow the onscreen installation instructions.

Use a bootable installer

A bootable installer can be useful if you want to install macOS on multiple computers without downloading the installer each time, or when you can't install using macOS Recovery or the other methods.

To download an installer suitable for creating a bootable installer, use the App Store or use a web browser to download from a compatible Mac. The Mac must also be using macOS High Sierra or later, the latest version of macOS Sierra, or the latest version of OS X El Capitan.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Cannot Find BaseSystem.dmg For iMac SSD Replacment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.