Trash Operations while backing up/migrating

I'm deleting old, irrelevant Time Machine backups from an external drive to make space for a new backup. I just purchased a new computer and want to migrate information from my old computer, which still has a ways to go in fully erasing those two old backups, to my new computer. Is there any risk in performing these two data functions at the same time? My guess is that it won't matter since the data I'm deleting is on an external drive while the data I'm migrating is from the internal SSD on the old computer. Not really a techincal issue rather than a question about reading/writing and wanting to avoid performing two tasks at the same time that might corrupt data.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 23, 2024 12:02 PM

1 reply

May 23, 2024 5:54 PM in response to secondgreatestofalltime

You should never ever delete old Time Machine backups. If you deleted Time Machine backup using Finder, then you have borked your backups and stuffed up your old iMac's Trash.

What you need to do now is eject and disconnect the Time Machine backup drive from the old iMac and Migrate directly Mac to Mac instead of using the now borked Time Machine backup. see > Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Then you need to erase and format the Time Machine backup drive and start all new backups.

Trash Operations while backing up/migrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.