Text Alerts on Bluetooth Headset AND Phone.

When a call comes in, the ringtone plays through the headset AND the phone speaker. When a text comes in, the alert tone only plays through the headset. I need text alerts to come from the phone speaker too because I set the headset down when not in use. I miss every text and reconnecting the headset for every call would be ridiculous. This seems like an easy thing to revert back to. My trusty SE (original) use to alert me in from both. Why the change? It seems, to me, illogical. What's the reasoning behind it?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 23, 2024 12:48 PM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 1:02 PM in response to Shed_Grill

Shed_Grill wrote:

When a call comes in, the ringtone plays through the headset AND the phone speaker. When a text comes in, the alert tone only plays through the headset. I need text alerts to come from the phone speaker too because I set the headset down when not in use. I miss every text and reconnecting the headset for every call would be ridiculous. This seems like an easy thing to revert back to. My trusty SE (original) use to alert me in from both. Why the change? It seems, to me, illogical. What's the reasoning behind it?

I think you misremember. Text notifications only go to the active listening device, and it has always worked that way. So it is not a change.

May 23, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Shed_Grill

OK Lawrence, my old SE absolutely did alert me from both the headset AND the phone speaker. I never missed a text with the headset on the table. I would only use it for calls. However, it was an older Jabra. I dug it out and just tried it with my new iPhone and I get the alert from both the headset AND speaker, so this must be a newer headset issue, not an Apple blunder. Unfortunately, the battery in the Jabra barely keeps a charge so I won't be able to use it, and finding an older headset that still has a good battery is probably impossible. I'm going to investigate this further on an Android I have to see if it will work better for me.

Thanks for the input.

Text Alerts on Bluetooth Headset AND Phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.