M3 iMac won't start after factory reset

I reset and erased my hard drive, then went to Disk utility and erased my hard drive for a factory reset. I restarted and now I can't go past the Gear icon (options). My bluetooth mouse and keyboard of course do not work.

The reason I did this is because I wanted to start from scratch because ever since I first started the computer I've been getting kernel panics. I did a diagnostic test and it said nothing was wrong with the computer.

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 23, 2024 1:33 PM

2 replies

May 23, 2024 2:32 PM in response to Aussie_Sister

Aussie_Sister wrote:

I reset and erased my hard drive, then went to Disk utility and erased my hard drive for a factory reset. I restarted and now I can't go past the Gear icon (options). My bluetooth mouse and keyboard of course do not work.

The reason I did this is because I wanted to start from scratch because ever since I first started the computer I've been getting kernel panics. I did a diagnostic test and it said nothing was wrong with the computer.

Apple Silicon computers can have a Factory Reset as per the Apple Support link provided below.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

If use a Bluetooth Keyboard from Apple - connect it via the supplied Apple Cable to the computer.

This may allow the Keyboard to actually function

May 23, 2024 1:46 PM in response to Aussie_Sister

Hold down the powerbutton on the top right hand side of the Mac.

Method 1: Using Recovery Mode

1. Restart your Mac: Shut down your Mac, then press the power button until you see the startup options.
  2. Hold the power button: Continue holding the power button until you see the Apple logo and the “Options” menu appears.

I have never done it except to reset my password, but someplace in their it will give you the option to download the latest version os the OS.

M3 iMac won't start after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.