I am going to get a new iPhone, will everything transfer?

I will be going to the Verizon store tomorrow to get a new Apple phone. I have an old iphone mini that’s about 6 years old. I am far from a technical person, and don’t have any idea what will automatically transfer over to the new phone and was wondering if pics, Norton/Lifelock, emails, voicemails, all my Apps, etc will transfer, or will I have to painstakingly upload all these, plus lose voicemails etc in the process?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 23, 2024 1:42 PM

14 replies

May 23, 2024 3:33 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

Guiseppelouigi2024 wrote:

Hi MrHoffman,

Thank you for answering me, but I have no idea what “data migration” even is?

You want to move your data from your old iPhone to your new one, yes? In less words, that’s a data migration. Moving your data from old to new.

I will continue being on my son’s plan, so are you saying that “everything” will transfer over to the new phone??

Yes, if that is what you select. See details in my reply above, and the links there. Use the same Apple ID on both.

Does this include all my information, …

Yes. See details in my reply above.

…including Norton/Lifelock? I’m not sure why you’re against them, since trying to set up Verizon security didn’t work, and they were impossible to solve the issue why.

The built-in security does fine, and the add-on security apps can tend to add stability and privacy problems.

I went with Norton/Lifelock and have been ok for the last 6 years. Why do you advise against them?? I have compromised data and information, so I need extra protection.

Beyond typically being unnecessary, you mean?

You are aware that Norton (and any other add-on app) can’t scan your iPhone? The built-in anti-malware blocks that scan from happening. Norton can scan your network traffic, though. Which exposes a whole lot of your activities to collection, and that data exposes information about yourself.*

What happens when this data gets collected? Or collected and sold? One of the other companies that is part of Norton—Avast—has a history of troubles with regulators for collecting and reselling personally-identified web browsing and web purchasing data, too.

Too many of the add-on anti-malware tools and tool vendors tools are shady at best, and the add-on security tools too often provide negligible or even no security benefits over the built-in security, and can introduce issues and instabilities.

What we are facing in recent years tends to be hype, password re-use, failures to secure, and phishing (and which add-on security apps typically can’t and don’t help with, or that Apple already provides):

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

*What do these tools know about us? Per US regulators, Avast collected a treasure trove of user information through its antivirus software and browser extensions without people’s consent. This included information about their

• religious beliefs
  • health concerns
  • political leanings
  • locations
  • financial status

May 23, 2024 1:53 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

Short answer…

Use the data migration tool that shows up when you first start the new iPhone, and use the same Apple ID on both.

Long answer…

Start here: Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Voice mail is a carrier service, and access will migrate when your carrier cellular plan is migrated. Depending on the carrier, that plan migration can be automatic when migrating the data, or can require a discussion directly with the carrier. Different carriers handle that cellular plan migration differently, and sometimes carriers want you on a new or different plan (such as a 5G plan).

Local email and the rest all migrates when you migrate contents, and what is available in iCloud remains where it is and remains accessible whenever you use the same Apple ID on old and new. As would be usual.

If you don’t have a backup, here is how to get one: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Here is an overview of iOS 17: iOS 17 - Apple

Here is the iPhone User Guide: iPhone User Guide - Apple Support

I would generally discourage installing any add-on security apps.

May 23, 2024 2:09 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

I would avoid having the Verizon folks set it up for you. They have an unfortunate tendency to be very "helpful" and create a new Apple ID. And that messes up everything.

Unsolicited advice: I agree with MrHoffman. Nothing by Norton is a good thing on any Apple device. And LifeLock has had their data compromised more times than I can remember.

May 23, 2024 2:20 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I’d also add to insist on taking the old - NOT YET ERASED - phone home with you.

Don’t let Verizon erase your old phone.

Don’t believe them when they assure you that they will securely erase and dispose of the phone for you.

The only way to ensure that everything successfully moved over is to “test drive” the new phone for a week or so.

If all’s well, THEN you can erase the old phone yourself and dispose of it in an appropriate manner.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 23, 2024 4:33 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

Why do you say that nothing by Norton is a good thing on any Apple device? They have saved my butt twice, and promise to fix any compromised problems if they arise.

Norton serves no purpose on any Apple device. I suspect that whatever it was they "saved" you from was a false positive.

Read this article for more information:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

May 23, 2024 2:22 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Chattanoogan wrote:

I’d also add to insist on taking the old phone home with you.

Don’t let Verizon erase your old phone.

Don’t believe them when they assure you that they will do it for you.

Technically, we weren't allowed to take a trade in unless it had already been erased. But, sometimes, sales reps got sloppy and would just have the customer sign out of iCloud (or not). I didn't have time to erase phones when I was processing a hundred or more trade-ins in a week. And we didn't do anything with phones dropped in the recycling station. We used gloves to empty that box.

May 23, 2024 2:40 PM in response to WheelieNick

Hi WheelieNick,

Honestly, I don’t even know what iCloud backup even is. I have been on my son’s plan forever and he’s the tech guy. I’m old school and don’t understand any of the technology and lingo used concerning my phone.

All I want to know is if everything will transfer to the new phone I will be getting? My son says pics, and contacts will, but everything else will have to be manually redone. This seems not only stressful, but tedious, especially when you don’t know how to do any of this.

May 23, 2024 2:45 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

As Wheely Nick pointed out …

IF you have all of your iCloud syncing services “on” (Settings -> AppleID -> iCloud -> Apps Using iCloud [Show All]

AND you perform an iCloud Backup just prior to the transfer (Settings -> AppleID -> iCloud > iCloud Backup -> Backup Now) …

… You’ll be in VERY good shape … your new home screen will even be arranged just like your old one.

Apple’s backup, transfer, and restore mechanisms are VERY GOOD.

May 23, 2024 2:50 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman,

Thank you for answering me, but I have no idea what “data migration” even is?

I will continue being on my son’s plan, so are you saying that “everything” will transfer over to the new phone?? Does this include all my information, including Norton/Lifelock? I’m not sure why you’re against them, since trying to set up Verizon security didn’t work, and they were impossible to solve the issue why. I went with Norton/Lifelock and have been ok for the last 6 years. Why do you advise against them?? I have compromised data and information, so I need extra protection.

May 23, 2024 2:58 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi IdrisSeabright,

Why should I avoid having the Verizon staff set up my phone for me? What exactly do you mean by that? I don’t know how to do anything even remotely close to doing anything concerning setting up my new phone. Wow, I’m getting really stressed out here…

Perhaps I should mention that they keep my same Apple ID just to be on the safe side?

So are you saying that EVERYTHING will transfer over to the new phone?

May 23, 2024 4:29 PM in response to Guiseppelouigi2024

Why should I avoid having the Verizon staff set up my phone for me? What exactly do you mean by that? I don’t know how to do anything even remotely close to doing anything concerning setting up my new phone. Wow, I’m getting really stressed out here…

I explained why. They tend to create new Apple IDs because it's "faster" and "you can change it later". I should know. I worked there for twenty years.

So are you saying that EVERYTHING will transfer over to the new phone?

Have you read the articles people have linked to for you?

I am going to get a new iPhone, will everything transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.