Updating iPhone 6s to latest possible iOS

I'm running 12.3.1. It is an iPhone 6s, the phone model say so. Apple is showing I should update to 15.8.2. But when I download that version and run the install it just gets about 2/3rds thru the install and then just stops and phone goes back to Home screen. Hopefully they wouldn't be offering an update that won't work. All I need is iOS 14 so the Picture-this app will work. Thanks

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:15 PM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 11:54 PM in response to macappspoorhelp

You cannot pick and choose an iOS version. What you get is Settings > General > Software update > [All options are available here]

You need to correctly Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

These are the iOS options based on an iPhone Model

Know how to...

May 26, 2024 8:26 PM in response to macappspoorhelp

Model A1688 corresponds to an iPhone 6s – and that iPhone can, indeed run iOS 15.

You've apparently been preventing your phone from doing major version updates for a while. In other threads and articles in this forum, I've seen people say that if you try to upgrade several major versions at a time, the Software Update method might not work.

In that case, you might need to manually update your iPhone with the help of a Mac or a Windows PC.

• Using the Finder on a Mac running Catalina or later
  • Using iTunes on a Mac running Mojave or earlier, or on a Windows PC

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes - Apple Support

May 26, 2024 8:20 PM in response to SravanKrA

My model number is A1688. I know how to tell if I am connected to the internet. I have downloaded and installed 3 times on different wi-fi's. Shows download complete. But when I run Install, as I said, progress bar gets about 2/3rds way thru and then goes away kicks out to home screen and I'm still on 12.3.1. In Settings>General>iPhone Storage first app is iOS 15.8.2 Last used: Today, 3.92 GB. Software update shows 15.8.2 downloaded

Updating iPhone 6s to latest possible iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.