Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

System Extension Error after MacOS update Version 12.7.5

After installing the newest update for MacOS Monterey current version is 12.7.5 on my MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Chip Apple M1 I got following Error message:

System Extension Error

"An error occurred with your system

extensions during startup and they need

to be rebuilt before they can be used.

Please go to Security & Privacy System

Preferences to re-enable them."

I did do the restart and went through the above → "Please go to Security & Privacy System

Preferences to re-enable them." but this did not help!

The message keeps popping up after the restart and rebuild.

I am positive this is due to the newest update, as the message occurred directly after the restart of the update.

I found some older posts, but neither of them was helpful so far.

Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Thank you everyone!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 23, 2024 9:23 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2024 10:20 PM in response to Ozzie1910

My current version is MacOS Monterey as the M1 was shipped with initially - yes, apple and the community recommends us to upgrade to the newest version all the time. And I understand if you are using the onboard software shipped with apple then you do not have any troubles. However, I use a lot of software that I have bought because it serves a certain purpose, if I upgrade to Sonoma or else those additional costly software packages do not work any longer and that is pain as I have to upgrade all the software, pay third party software again, and have to invest into other issues of compatibility of the files that might not be usable any longer with upgraded software apps, and all that. Besides the cost there is the downtime and the work I need to put into this, taking time away from my business and potentially comes with a long downtime - so upgrading to Sonoma or a newer version is not an option for me. Once I installed everything and all is running well, I do not wish to touch the operating system (upgrade), other than keep updating it (bugfixes, security and etc.). As Monterey is still serviced - as recent updates show - I want to keep it, because upgrading is costly, takes time and introduces other issues that might be far more trickier to deal with. So no - that is not an option for me - thank you!

However, I did the follow the instructions → "Please go to Security & Privacy System

Preferences to re-enable them." I think I did it three times in total and suddenly the problem disappeared. So all is good and this problem is solved. Thank you everyone!

System Extension Error after MacOS update Version 12.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.