Document continuously crashing everywhere I take it in my iPad. Files not working, iBooks not working on my iPad.

Such as, when my Files app continuously was crashing when I was working on a downloaded book that I was writing in. First I had where my pencil was skipping. I spent a lot of time researching how to fix this. It seems it’s an abnormality with Files? Although, I do get it in other apps. When I’m coloring at a reduced opacity, and suddenly you can see all these streak marks of layers of colors. So then I’m left having to go back steps to get that look gone. And all the meanwhile, PRAYING to the computer gods that it doesn’t crash. In Files, it crashed! I sneezed, it crashed. I moved the picture, it crashed. It sat there for ten seconds, it crashed. Suddenly “coloring to relax” was not a concept, but rather “I am going to finish this f**king picture! Come **** or high water!” And with a lot of reading on the forum again, I saw others suggest, “just take this **** to iBooks! It’s better! Files is $h!t.” And, indeed, it is! Completely so when compared to iBooks. I’ve worked in Notes, Pages, Files, and now iBooks doing the same thing. And I will say, of them, iBooks has the same features as Files, without the fussiness of Files. Except for the saving process!

But I digress. My point is, when I read to take it to iBooks, I did. And aside from the issues with it just saving automatically like Pages, Notes, and lesser so, Files. It’d just close on me all of a sudden. However, unlike Files, I could always reopen the document again, no real problems. Took forever, but I attributed it to the size the document was becoming. I was still struggling with the skipped pencil issue in iBooks, I had in all the apps. And I’ve cleaned the screen, replaced the nub/ tip many times just hoping for something to get better. But all of that, livable. Life’s not perfect, but I could get to my drawing and try and finish color it. Because after all, that was my goal! I had no other mission! I have to see this completed! And I was so excited tonight because I was getting closer and closer, finally!

And so I exited the document so I could save the work I’d done since it’d previously crashed and I’d lost a lot of progress that I didn’t want to have the same mistake on. When I went to go reopen the document, iBooks says it “Cannot reopen my document.” “Unable to open PDF” “PDF20%document%205.”

I again, went to Google, and searched. But this is where it’s so split. I don’t think it’s an app or a document issue. And I don’t think it’s a size on my computer issue. It’s stored on my iCloud. Or so I thought/ think. It’s supposed to be at least. And if it’s having the issues in both apps, it’s a document issue in theory. Except that Files has given me this issue on many other documents that I’ve worked on in the app. So would that make it an app issue? This is where I feel flooded by my lack of technology deficiency. And instead of trying to continue to read, and continue to be inundated with so many suggestions, and not know which one matches my issue the best. I figure I need to ask. Maybe if I had a few weeks ago when this all started, then maybe I could have nipped this in the bud. And it wouldn’t have gotten this bad. Now, I certainly cannot finish my picture because I have no workaround like I did before. I cannot find where this picture is located on the iPad to retrieve and take it to another app.

But that’s also another problem. The others apps are not as “coloring friendly.” Notes and Pages have different utensils in which to color, and the way they color comes out different than in iBooks and Files. An example is that the crayon acts as a crayon in the later two. But in the first two named, it’s a more fluid stroke like that of a paint brush or marker, not a crayon. So even just the ability to move it to another app so close to the end, with neither apps being available. I’m just stuck, so here’s to hoping someone can understand my garble and know how to help me through this chaos in laymen’s terms so that I can get this fixed.

Thank you to all who take the time to read this, and try in anyway and hopefully help me get this fixed.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 23, 2024 10:07 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2024 3:34 AM in response to Not_so_tech_savvy

reply : Not_so_tech_savvy

Hi & welcome ,

The link I provided is to the App Store , where you'll find a description of the iBooks app .

At " ratings & reviews " tap " see all" and sort by most recent . I observed many negative reviews since the last update similar to yours ( crashing , missing items , can't open etc.).

You will also see a " developer website " , tap it and see if you can get some help with

this .

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-books/id364709193

☘️ Good luck

Document continuously crashing everywhere I take it in my iPad. Files not working, iBooks not working on my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.