Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can I use screen taps to put the iPad Pro 13 to sleep without a complete shutdown?

In order to turn off the screen (sleep) but not shut down my new iPad Pro 13”, I can short press the power button but Is there a way to do this by tapping the screen?

The new iPad Pro doesn’t have a Home button on the front so you need to turn it and look at the edge to see where the top is. Unless you do that, you can’t be sure where the buttons are and which side is top. Most of the time I just want to shut the screen off without a complete shutdown. I don’t really need to know where the buttons are. It would be handy to be able to use screen tap(s) to do this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro (M4, 2024)

Posted on May 24, 2024 5:31 AM

3 replies

May 24, 2024 6:32 AM in response to grasshoppe

First, perhaps understand the Apple Support Community is a user-to-user technical forum. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Other than the site Moderators, Apple neither monitor nor participate here.

As such, if you hope to reach Apple through these forums, you will be disappointed.

Apple does, however, invite submission of Feature Requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

May 24, 2024 5:48 AM in response to grasshoppe

Tapping the screen is the gesture to wake the iPad. There isn't an equivalent gesture to cause the iPad to sleep.

However, given that you have an iPad Pro with FaceID, you can optimally set your iPad settings such that it will automatically sleep after two minutes of no activity or attention to the screen:

Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock - set to 2 minutes

Settings > FaceID & Passcode > Attention Aware Features - set to ON

The Attention Aware feature actively uses the iPad's FaceID sensor array to detect when you are paying attention to the iPad screen. If your attention is elsewhere, the iPad will automatically lock/sleep upon expiry of the configured Auto-Lock period.

Can I use screen taps to put the iPad Pro 13 to sleep without a complete shutdown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.