How to fix USB-C connectivity issues on MacBook Air 2020?

I have an intel macbook air 2020 and suddenly one usb-c works then doesn't work etc. Sometimes it doesn't work and then I turn the cable over and it works. Before this started happening I kept getting this message when I unplugged my cable linking the port to my TV (and also I think when I used the cable for charging) - message was: "USB Accessories Disabled: Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices.” I don't think I've damaged the port. I've tried resetting the NVRASM and the SMC (many times) but no good. I've tried different cable etc. but the intermittent non-working contiunues - any advice before I contact Apple - it's out of warranty but obviously still inside the UK consumer laws.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 24, 2024 5:35 AM

1 reply

May 24, 2024 8:05 AM in response to brendanxx

If the connection works when the USB-C cable is flipped, this might indicate an issue with the USB-C cable, the physical port to which you are connecting the cable, or the USB controller. The cable itself can be substituted to eliminate this as a potential source of the problem - but for the mac, this will require professional test and assessment.

You might be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to offer assistance:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

How to fix USB-C connectivity issues on MacBook Air 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.