Help! iCloud Photo STOP Syncing on Mac Studio after fresh install

Hello all.

Mac Studio came back from servicing all wipe out. Chose to start and install FROM SCRATCH - i.e. install everything fresh and also turning on services and apps that have cloud support.

Started with all the “core” Apple stuff from Mail to Music to Photos. iCloud Photo was syncing all my photos back, just like in my iPhone and iPad.

Then started to reinstall all my 3rd party apps like Adobe and Office 365, all the extra utilities, the last to install today was Intego.

Then I noticed Photos seems to STOP syncing since afternoon i.e. for more than a few hours, despite me adding and deleting photos in my iPhone; iPad’s Photos app is corresponding and syncing just nicely.

I tried turning ON and OFF iCloud Photo Syncing and even tried REPAIRING . Now the bottom status just says “Restoring from iCloud…”

Is there any preference files or other cache files etc I can delete to fix this or start all over? Like you launch Photos for the first time?

I really don’t want to start all over again, reformatting and reinstalling.

Thank you!

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 24, 2024 8:49 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2024 5:20 AM in response to howwow

User wrote " Then started to reinstall all my 3rd party apps like Adobe and Office 365, all the extra utilities, the last to install today was Intego."

That last one " Intego " is of concern to me

https://www.intego.com/

Is there a specific Need or is this a Want ?

If a Need, Apple has plenty of Secure Features built into macOS that would negate the need for Third Party Security Software

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that cannot be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

Security. Built right in

Mac app security enhancements

The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Protecting against malware in macOS

How this Intego software in interacting with the Photo syncing is the point of concern.

EDITED - add info

May 25, 2024 4:20 AM in response to howwow

I think the way to restart it would be to turn off iCloud Photos, then turn it back on. However, I think it will take a long time depending on how large the Library.

On iOS, it doesn’t download full versions, so that will complete fast.

In the Photos Settings, check to make sure your library is set as the System Library. If it is, when you select it in the settings, the Set button will be grayed out. I don’t think it could have gotten unset, though.

There is also an option to download full size versions to that computer. Turning that off may make it finish faster.

Help! iCloud Photo STOP Syncing on Mac Studio after fresh install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.