Help! iCloud Photo STOP Syncing on Mac Studio after fresh install

Hello all.

Mac Studio came back from servicing all wipe out. Chose to start and install FROM SCRATCH - i.e. install everything fresh and also turning on services and apps that have cloud support.

Started with all the “core” Apple stuff from Mail to Music to Photos. iCloud Photo was syncing all my photos back, just like in my iPhone and iPad.

Then started to reinstall all my 3rd party apps like Adobe and Office 365, all the extra utilities, the last to install today was Intego.

Then I noticed Photos seems to STOP syncing since afternoon i.e. for more than a few hours, despite me adding and deleting photos in my iPhone; iPad’s Photos app is corresponding and syncing just nicely.

I tried turning ON and OFF iCloud Photo Syncing and even tried REPAIRING . Now the bottom status just says “Restoring from iCloud…”

Is there any preference files or other cache files etc I can delete to fix this or start all over? Like you launch Photos for the first time?

I really don’t want to start all over again, reformatting and reinstalling.

Thank you!

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 24, 2024 8:51 AM

1 reply

May 24, 2024 10:46 AM in response to howwow

If Intego is the security and antivirus software that I think it is that's your problem. First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Security Risks: The Dangers of Using Free VPNs (eccu.edu)

Uninstall the Intego software according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the Intego software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains intego

2 - Name contains antivirus

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Help! iCloud Photo STOP Syncing on Mac Studio after fresh install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.