Which files should I move to an external drive if iTunes and Music have the same music?

I am Sonoma , I had everything set up I thought long ago before the upgrade to Sonoma and had my media files on external now I have under Music folder under sidebar inside a Music Folder that has a Media Folder with Music; also in the sidebar Music Folder is an iTunes Folder that has all the original stuff I always associated with iTunes including an iTunes Media Folder that has a Music Folder with the same music in it plus the Movies, Home Videos etc.

So it is taking double the space 250gb for each of the Music Media Folders

So what do I move to the external SSD and what do I delete? I don't need 3 or more folders of 250gb taking up space.

Thanks

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 24, 2024 1:13 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2024 6:35 AM in response to porsche87

See Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for some background. I would suggest copying the active Music Library.musiclbrary package into <External>/Music, option-starting-Music to access the library at <External>/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary, resetting the media folder to <External>/Music/Media via Music > Preferences/Settings > Files, and then consolidating the library via File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files.

While you might not need three copies of your library you should keep a full backup of your active library on a second drive for security. This could be done manually, or more efficiently via Time Machine.

tt2

Which files should I move to an external drive if iTunes and Music have the same music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.