iPad Pro trade-in value revised to $0.00

Hi, I bought a new iPad Pro and traded in my old iPad Pro. The trade-in value was initially $115.

My old iPad Pro had nothing wrong with it, I thought, except for battery life. (Apple wouldn't change the battery & there are no brick & mortar places near me that would change the battery for a reasonable price in a reasonable amount of time.)

Frankly, I was not even sure that I wanted to trade it in. But I mailed it back in its original packaging (I still had it) because the trade-in box that Apple sent was actually the wrong size (too small).

My trade-in value got revised to $0.00. I rejected that and they are supposed to send me back my old iPad Pro.

Reason for revision: "LCD display burn in damage/streaks/discoloration across the screen." (I have serious doubts about this. I never noticed streaks or discoloration on that screen.)

My question: Did somebody have to open up my old iPad in order to make this determination? I am concerned that I will receive my old iPad in worse condition due to what happened during this evaluation.

Before I mailed it in, I did not take any photos or videos of my old iPad & the packaging that I used. So, I have no proof of the condition of my old iPad.

Moral of the story: if they're only going to give you $115 and you are on the fence, forget it. Don't mail it in.

Really disappointed in this entire situation.

Thank you in advance.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 25, 2024 1:10 AM

4 replies

May 25, 2024 3:58 AM in response to anonymous-imac-user

The evaluation will have been (a) visual - and (b) electronic by connecting the iPad to a workstation that runs a suite of tests.

The screen defect will have been identified visually - or using sensor instrumentation - during the assessment process. The iPad will not have been opened.

Screen defects are typically due to inconsistency in the screen backlight - this often due to partial de-lamination of the screen backlight-diffuser layer.

Many users prefer to trade-in their devices at an Apple Store - as the evaluation is conducted in-store. This removes any doubt or potential uncertainty as to acceptance or the trade-in valuation - thus avoiding any unpleasant surprises. The trade-in value, is finalised there-and-then for instant credit against a new purchase, or offered as an Apple Gift Card to be redeemed against a future purchase.

iPad Pro trade-in value revised to $0.00

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.