How can I stop my Mac from asking for Touch ID every time I make a new folder or delete something on my iCloud desktop?

I can see no settings to turn off Touch ID for tasks where it's not wanted. (I've got Touch ID set up and working.)

Like in the screenshots.

> Make a new folder, Touch ID is required....

> Change name of folder, Touch ID required....

Mac mini

Posted on May 25, 2024 3:01 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2024 10:40 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

That top-level folder of the drive says you have no permission to do anything at that level, so adding a folder to that directory would require authentication. If you can add a folder without authentication on B, I don't know why.

Once you create a folder at the top level of the drive, you will be able to add anything inside that folder without authentication.

If you do not need permissions on those drives, click the padlock, authenticate, and check the Ignore Ownership checkbox.

May 26, 2024 3:35 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, ignoring the ownership worked.

It's strange (to me at least) as I have eight external SSDs and disk drives, Seagates, Samsungs and WDs, and literally none of them have ever required passwords for creating a new folder. My Crucials are newer... they've been formatted of course, but maybe there's something built in which does not get formatted out.

I've certainly never changed the sharing or permissions things as I don't understand them!

🤔

How can I stop my Mac from asking for Touch ID every time I make a new folder or delete something on my iCloud desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.