How to keep iphone password but disable screen lockout

My iphone 12 often locks up when I'm out walking. I assume its pocket-dialing incorrect passwords until the security lockout kicks in. Recently my phone was locked for over an hour - which is both inconvenient and dangerous if I needed to respond to an emergency (ie in some way other than making a 911 call, which it apparently allows). Is it true that there is no way to keep your password but disable screen lockout after failed password attempts? Is it really my only option to turn off the password feature all together??? If so, this seems incredibly unhelpful. Hopefully I'm missing some key information??

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 25, 2024 12:38 PM

4 replies

May 25, 2024 12:47 PM in response to BillfrustratedwithMac

If you keep your phone in your pocket, that's exactly what is happening. You should turn OFF Tap or Slide to Wake, by going into Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Turn off Tap or Slide to Wake and this won't happen again. What you will need to do is retrain yourself to use the side power button to wake your screen, but you won't be locked out of your phone again by unintended touches to the screen while in your pocket.

How to keep iphone password but disable screen lockout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.