My Ipad Pro 9th Gen will not accept fingerprint after water damage

I dropped my iPad Pro 2021- 9th generation, into the water picked it up instantly, and then began to swing it in a down direction to get any possible water out of it. I also turned off the power off. I then waited 2-3 days to turn my iPad back on and it worked perfectly. Except the fingerprint ID will not work. I've tried to reset it and I've tried a different finger and neither will work. Could you let me know if this can be fixed?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 25, 2024 10:23 PM

6 replies

May 26, 2024 4:47 AM in response to Sokhermom

Water and electronics do not make happy bedfellows. Your iPad is not designed to be water resistant. While it may survive being splashed with water if immediately dried, it will almost certainly suffer irreparable damage if it is allowed to get wet or is submerged.

You would be best advised to take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad. If repair is possible, you'll be in the best possible place to explore your available options. Conversely, if repair isn’t viable, the iPad can be responsibly recycled:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 27, 2024 3:27 AM in response to Sokhermom

Sokhermom wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick and complete response. I had hoped for a different answer but, was afraid that this would be the answer. If it cannot be fixed, I will have to trade it in for another refurbished one. That's how I recycle mine. And by buying refurbished also.

You're very welcome.

As advised, before giving-up, professional assessment is advised.

Be aware that any devices that are not fully functional and without faults are not accepted by Apple's trade-in program. An out of warranty repair, if performed, will almost always be more expensive than the potential trade-in value. As such, repairing a device so as to become eligible for trade-in will be uneconomic.

For practical purposes, in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple usually exchange a qualifying device for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare plan, an out-of-warranty repair while expensive will be somewhat less than the cost of a replacement iPad.

As for out-of-warranty repair costs, Apple offers a fixed-price price repair. You can verify eligibility and cost for your region/country here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you have an active AppleCare+ plan, the cost of repair is reduced to a small excess/deductible fee.

My Ipad Pro 9th Gen will not accept fingerprint after water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.