Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

I need Apple Watch model advice

hello folks

I am interested getting the smart watch and I do not need a cellular and gps and i really like to get the one just to link by way of Bluetooth to my iPhone and if any one can advise me what can i get would be nice

also it can do health monitoring and a few other stuff as well and a map and weather would be nice but no gps just a connection to my iPhone is all i need

thx you in advance

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5

Posted on May 25, 2024 10:08 PM

4 replies

May 26, 2024 12:54 PM in response to rickphour00

The GPS Only DOES NOT have its own cell phone number. The cellular carrier does not even know you are using a GPS Only Apple Watch, and thus you can use any iPhone carrier you wish, including MNVO pay-as-you-go carriers.

The GPS only model can do everything the cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby. And if you leave your iPhone at home, the GPS only model can track you exercise, and upload the stats to your iPhone when you return home.

If you were to get a cellular model AND activate the line, then the iPhone carrier would add a $10 U.S. fee to the iPhone bill. Carriers that support the Apple Watch are:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Things I do with my GPS Only Series 4 Apple Watch (AND I PAY NOTHING to my iPhone cellular carrier 😁 ).

• It tells time, date, day of the week

• Every iPhone alarm, appears on my wrist, where you can acknowledge it, dismiss it, etc…

• I like the iPhone 3rd party “Alarmed” app (http://yoctoville.com), for my alarms

• Ring.com door bell can display a static image on the Apple Watch

• Weather (this gets used a lot)

• MyRadar 3rd party app will display radar image

• MyRadar and WeatherBug 3rd party apps will send you weather alerts

• Make/Receive phone calls

• Make/Receive FaceTime audio calls

• Use Walkie-Talkie to other Apple Watches anywhere on the planet

• Silence phone ringing by pressing the digital crown (great for SPAM calls)

• Send & receive iMessages

• Send & receive SMS TEXT

• Say “Hey Siri, 14 and a half minute timer”

• Say “Hey Siri, remind me when I get home to do xyz”

• Say “Hey Siri, message my wife/husband/Susan/George/etc…”

• Say “Hey Siri, start Outdoor Walk”

• Say “Hey Siri, end workout”

• Say "Hey Siri, find my iPhone"

• Say "Hey Siri, flashlight"

• Use a 3rd party garage door opener app and device (such as MyQ)

• You can check your calendar

• Read your email

• If you need to take an iPhone picture where you cannot see the screen, use Apple Watch Camera app as a view finder/shutter release

• 3rd party Ocean's Tide app for beach visits

• Hand washing reminder and timer

• Unlock your Mac (I do this several times a day)

• Unlock your iPhone when you are wearing a mask

• Track your exercise and physical activities

Since my Wife got her Apple Watch, we have been able to reliably iMessage each other, as she never keeps here iPhone on her person.

If my Apple Watch was lost, stolen, or broken, I would order a replacement as fast as possible, as I would miss it so much.

May 25, 2024 11:57 PM in response to rickphour00

Apple only makes GPS-only and Cellular + GPS models of the Watch. You cannot buy one without GPS.

The most recent series 9 GPS-only model should provide what you want in a smartwatch.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 14.5;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 10.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 17.5; HomePods, audioOS 17.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

May 26, 2024 12:25 PM in response to Dah•veed

thank you 0

I was hoping I can find one without having another cell phone number paying for a line and that would be additional to the monthly payments to the watch itself and I have my iPhone with me almost always next to me and I am rarely away from my phone

also I have seen Samsung smartwatches but they have ugly desktop screen cover and also it has a round shape watch and the apple smart watch is square and to me it is more to my taste as a preference

i know some apple smart watches have limited battery life compare to some except the ultra

May 26, 2024 1:19 PM in response to BobHarris

An additional thing the GPS-only watch can do I discovered by accident. Bare with me, it's complicated to explain.

Suppose you go to a location you have previously visited with both your iPhone and the watch where your devices connected with a wifi network. In that case, your watch will recognize that same network and function over it without your iPhone. I think this may have to do with wifi calling.

I need Apple Watch model advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.