Can I hop from Mojave to Sonoma/Ventura?

Hi to all. I am currently working on a 2017 iMac running on Mojave 10.14.6 and am able to do my audio and video works without any issues. I work in GarageBand version 10.3.5, and, FCPX version 10.4.10.

My interest in upgrading is chiefly this: I recently purchased a Volt 176 and learnt that the UA Connect app [required to register the device and download the free goodies] does not launch in Mojave.

I earnestly seek the opinion and advise of all of you who have walked this path already. I have a number of doubts about this process and hope to be guided along the way.

Regards and take care

Dr. Somanna

iMac 27″ 5K

Posted on May 26, 2024 8:21 AM

12 replies

May 27, 2024 1:59 AM in response to somanna

Ventura is the latest version you can use on the 2017 iMac and you should be able to jump straight to it.

Whenever I update like that I download the Ventura Installer, copy everything of importance to an external HDD/SSD, erase my iMac and do a clean install.

However, it is probably OK just have Ventura copied on top of Mojave the usual way.

Wait for more advice on that method and make sure everything is backed up first.

May 27, 2024 4:40 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks for this reply Ian. I feel right to state that I am like a Rip Van Winkle regarding Apple software that is jetting ahead with almost one MacOS getting released each year! This being so, I request that my various doubts regarding this update be patiently heard and [of course] answered.

I have just now taken off a little time to start a time machine backup of my computer.

When I tried to use the preferences window to search for updates, I get the message that my computer is eligible for Ventura:

However when I click the More Info link, I am directed to the Sonoma OS! I have read that this OS cannot function in a 2017 iMac. But, when I access through the App Store, I find that I am eligible to download the MacOS Ventura version 13.6.7.

I have read that Intel macs work smoothly [faster] in Monterey and slowed down in Ventura. I realise that Apple is preparing making computing faster with their M1 and MZ's and I further understand that installing a new OS is liken-able to installing a new engine in an old car. Would upgrading to a lower OS version such as Monterey help my old car to pull along? As an amateur video editor, I would like to lay my hands on the copy subject feature that Ventura offers, but, I would like to know whether my main apps viz. GarageBand and FCPX will function better and faster: in Monterey or Ventura.

I wish you and others who have trodden this path will share your views, opinions and advise in this matter.

Regards and take care

Dr. Somanna

May 27, 2024 5:29 AM in response to somanna

Ventura 13.6.7 is what you need.

My 2017 iMac is on Ventura 13.6 and I have not noticed any slowdown so I would take those negative comments with a pinch of salt.

Often people who have misused their equipment then blame it for their problems.

Incidentally I have added a new base model M2 Mac mini to my 2012 mini and 2017 iMac.

At £580 it is 2 - 3 times faster than my £1,700 iMac!

As it has only got a 256 GB SSD I use a USB 3.0 1 TB SSD costing about £70.

May 27, 2024 7:53 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Don't forget that when you upgrade to Ventura you can download the latest version of FCP which has an incredible feature . . . the Scene Removal Mask.

So what's so marvellous about this? Well it's like a green or blue screen but does not require any equipment at all.

It works best if you have a fairly simple plain background behind you but you can still get decent results with a fussy background.

Just set up your camera on a tripod and make sure you have shot at least 1 second of video before you step into the frame.

Put the clip in your timeline and add the Scene Removal Mask. The screenshots below show where I was shooting and then with a superimposed background.

Remember that no equipment is required other than a tripod or some other means of holding the camera steady.

BEFORE:-The original shot.

AFTER:-The superimposed background.

May 28, 2024 4:24 AM in response to somanna

Am writing this post from my iMac adorned by Ventura. Small hitches have come along the way. After updating to GarageBand's latest version, got a notification that one particular plugin, DL Noiser could be having malware and GarageBand wouldn't open till I used the 'show in Finder' option to access the offending file which showed up in the Components section of the plugins. I pulled out that fella onto the desktop and then trashed it, and even trashed the trash: end result, GarageBand opened. When I opened an earlier project I received a notification that the offending plugin is absent, and to either continue or quit GB, download the plugin and start all over again. I continued and the project opened and the track where I had used the removed plugin was showing that this plugin has been faded out. I need to learn how to get ahead without this plugin.

But what has caught me by surprised was the huge numbers of folders that had comfortably settled upon my desktop.

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is and how I can depopulate the screen from these unwelcome creatures?

Regards

Dr. Somanna

May 27, 2024 7:01 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Wow, your set up is so good! Your reply regarding speeds with Ventura is so assuring.

However I need some doubts related to iTunes that I learn is replaced by the Music app. I use the Rode app to record my messages, convert them to CAF, and then save the file to my computer via iTunes. Sans iTunes, how can I get my Rode recordings onto my computer running Ventura? Does the new Music app provide this feature?

Another important use I have for iTunes is this: I use it to backup my iPhone and iPad. This backup feature was very useful when I sold away my older iPhone and purchased a new one. Does the latest Music app provide such backup solutions for our Apple devices?

Regards and take care

Dr. Somanna

May 27, 2024 7:20 AM in response to somanna

I don't know as I rarely use Music but I have no problems importing different types of music files into it and exporting them as .mp3

Of course the ideal app which many FCP users have is Audacity which is completely free. You can import many formats into it, edit them and export them in any format you want.

There are numerous tutorials on YouTube.

DOWNLOAD AUDACITY

May 27, 2024 8:00 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks for all this music[al] info!

I do use iTunes to convert aif 44 files to aif 48 and so make the audio fit for FCPX. I do have with me a free AUDIO CONVERTER LITE app that is downloadable from the App Store. It has an impressive performance with an ability to receive a variety of audio inputs and export them out also in various formats. Whether this converter will work in Ventura, I don't know yet. However, you're pointing out Audacity's ability to deliver in this matter has been to me instructional.

Regarding iPhone backup feature of iTunes, I have learnt that you have to go to the finder window, select general, select your device [this procedure is for Macs having OS versions 10.15 and above] and choose back up that can even be password encrypted. So, loss of iTunes will not trouble me in this matter when upgrading to Ventura.

But Rode recordings from my SmartLav into my Rode App presents a different cup of tea. The recordings made do not appear easily for us to select and share the file, but the Rode folks have devised several other options to allow users to get their recordings into their computers, one of the options being iTunes that recognises the device when connected by usb and allows syncing. They have another option by which a recording can be shared online and downloaded, a tedious roundabout manner that is difficult to get done when there in no internet. I have written to Rode support yesterday regarding this matter and hope to get their reply to this problem of file transfer to my computer sans iTunes.

Your pointer towards the new features in FCPX pertaining to the scene removal mask has set my mouth watering. I have been aware of the many new features introduced in FCPX and GarageBand that I was missing out on, but, jumping from a 32-bit to 64-bit architecture involved a lot of calculations. As of now, as stated in the OP, I am very well satisfied with my creative works in GB and FCPX and the computer has been very stable. But of late I have been realising that I was missing out on many new developments. When trying to download audio plugins [usually I download only the free ones:)] I am presented with this info: works only in OS 10.15 or later. Perhaps now is the time for me to make the hop. Reading the 'troubles' users are facing with the newer versions, I was hesitant to make a decision to migrate. However, you replies in this thread have greatly encouraged me, quelled my fears. Thanks for taking so much of pains to answer and reassure.

Regards and take care

Dr. Somanna

May 28, 2024 12:22 AM in response to somanna

A little more about the Rode SmartLav. Though the earlier Rode app is not recognised in iPhone OS 16 and above, another app, Rode Reporter app is available on the App store. A little while ago I tried out recording with this app but was faced with this problem: it was not recording anything. After going into the settings I discovered that I had to turn on the microphone access for Rode Reporter app. I was able to record two clips, one in Wav, 48 and the other in MP3 256. The recorded files were easily found in the app's library and the provision for sharing was also there. I used Airdrop to have the files over into my iMac still running on Mojave, and now I am ready for hopping into another adventure: Ventura!

Thank you Ian. Thank you Apple.

Regard and take care

Dr. Somanna

May 28, 2024 1:27 AM in response to somanna

I know nothing about iPhones or Rode mics but I do know that every time something new is announced various people have problems usually due to their own ineptitude.

A bad workman always blames his tools though I must admit that occasionally the tools may be defective.

I can confirm that both Ventura and Sonoma are stable and any problems are almost entirely due to the user.

May 28, 2024 1:45 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks for your further input. The Rode company and Apple pursue their products independently and hence what apps work in one OS may not work in another OS. This un-integrated development causes ‘problems’.

Yet another 29 minutes, and, I will be on Ventura. But for your encouragement I might not have gone for this update!

Can I hop from Mojave to Sonoma/Ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.