My ipad slows down when I connect it to my galaxy buds using blutooth

I’ve been experiencing this for months now and I got fed up with it to the point that I’m asking for help.

When I connect my (Samsung)Galaxy Buds2 Pro to my 8th generation model A2270 ipad, it’ll slow down, and I don’t mean the wifi. Every button press is delayed by several seconds, it takes 10 seconds for the app switcher to show up when I press the home button twice, and swiping those apps away takes just as much time to register my movement. Even turning the ipad on and off takes seconds to happen.

One thing to note is that this isn’t consistent. Half the time the ipad will work fine after a 3-4 hours of blutooth connection. On the other half, the ipad will behave like I said before after 30 or even 20 minutes of blutooth connection. When I disconnect my galaxy buds, the lag will either go away instantly or persist. However, if I swipe away every app I have open then the lag will go away after a few minutes.

Some other factors could be my ipad’s age and OS. I got this ipad on July 17th, 2021 so it’s about 2 years and 10 months old. The OS I have is 15.6.1, the latest I can download is 17.5.1. I haven’t been updating it since I don’t have automatic updates on and I’ve never put time aside to download the next update. I do have enough space to download it though so it’ll probably fix itself if it is a problem with my OS.

Is there a problem with my ipad’s age or OS?

Is this because I’m connecting a samsung device to an ios?

Is this lag caused by prolonged blutooth connection or can it happen because I opened a processing intensive app?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 26, 2024 10:28 AM

1 reply

May 26, 2024 10:41 AM in response to SWOGF

If your iPad is capable of update to the current version of iPadOS, you would be well advised to do so. Software updates include both functional fixes and feature updates, bug fixes and essential security updates for iPadOS.

The update process is unlikely to take much more than half an hour - this perhaps being pessimistic.

Just ensure that you have an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup before you start - as, in the unlikely event of something going wrong, you will be able to restore your data and settings after resolving the issue.

If your iPad is capable of update to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while an iPad may be capable of update, in some circumstances you may need to use a computer to perform the update*. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed - or the more recent Apple Devices App) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

Apple Devices App (Windows PC):

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9np83lwlpz9k?hl=en-ms&gl=MS

(*) If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

My ipad slows down when I connect it to my galaxy buds using blutooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.