How to connect my Apps, then uninstall them from my device and still use them through Apple TV?

hi everyone, ive been an iphone user for YEARS but cannot figure out apple TV.

is it possible for me to connect my apps, then uninstall them from my device and still be able to use them through apple tv?

will i need a subscription to access all content?

if i purchase the subscription will this be accessible across all devices logged in with the same icloud account?

thank you in advance for any answers !

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 26, 2024 1:48 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2024 5:11 AM in response to xo_amber

if i purchase the subscription will this be accessible across all devices logged in with the same icloud account?

In general, most (but not all) streaming video services on iPhone will have a matching app on the Apple TV box, for which the same subscription can be used. You don’t have to uninstall them on iPhone, but you may do so.

… with the same icloud account

Apple makes a distinction between your Apple ID for Store services (including in-app subscriptions) and your Apple ID for iCloud services (e.g. iCloud Photos access, HomeKit). This is unrelated to whether your Apple ID uses the ‘@icloud.com’ domain for a name. For most users, the Apple ID for both will be the same. But (mostly historical) those could use different accounts. And one might be signed in for one, but not for the other at any given time: separate sign-ins, and separate sign-outs.

The access to a third party video streaming service may be through the content provider directly (with separate login credentials), or started as in-app subscription through your Apple ID account (for Store services). For the latter, the app on a secondary device may require to use the “Restore Purchases” option, instead of logging in with an Apple ID account.

… accessible across all devices

Many content providers do not limit the number of devices per se, but do limit the number of simultaneous streams on one account/​subscription. How much, that differs per content provider. E.g. Disney+ allows 10 devices with a signed-in app, and 4 simultaneous streams (e.g. 4 family members on the same household watching something different from Disney+). For Max, it depends on your plan: 2 or 4 simultaneous streams. Netflix: 1, 2, or 4 simultaneous streams, depending on plan. Apple TV+: 6 simultaneous streams per subscription (intended to accommodate Family Sharing groups of up to 6 users).

May 26, 2024 2:53 PM in response to xo_amber

AppleTV is a hardware device for accessing streaming services or an application that aggregates streaming services into one place to watch.

If you connect your apps, you still need the app for each service.

Each service that you want to watch content on will require a subscription to that service.

No, each service will have it’s own user account and password.

You can access them on different devices but you will have to login to each service on that device.

Each service limits how many different devices you can watch on.

How to connect my Apps, then uninstall them from my device and still use them through Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.