Need a work around to read NYT on 3rd gen IPad Air.

When the NYT upgraded their app to only support iOS 9 or above, with my no longer supported air pad 3rd gen; now I can no longer read my digital subscription. I can’t afford a new iPad so I wonder if there is a work around?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 26, 2024 7:17 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2024 5:05 AM in response to Bradburys

A third generation iPad Air is capable of update to the most recent version of iPadOS - at time of writing, this being iPadOS 17.5.1. By contrast, an iPad Air1 is limited by hardware to iOS 12.5.7, whereas an iPad Air2 can be updated to iPadOS 15.8.2.

As such, if an App requires iOS 9 or later, any model of iPad Air should be capable of running the compatible App. Perhaps your issue is not related to the installed version of iOS/iPadOS at all - but is instead some other problem.

Consider deleting the offending App from your iPad - and then perform a forced restart before reinstalling the App from the App Store:

Remove or delete apps from iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

If the problem persists after restarting and reinstalling the App, assuming that other installed Apps are working as expected, you might be best advised to seek assistance from the App Developer:

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Should you continue to experience difficulties, you may find that instead of using a dedicated App to access your NYT subscription, you may be able to access the same material from the NYT website - using a web browser.

Need a work around to read NYT on 3rd gen IPad Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.