Hearing aids and MacBook Air M3

I have paired my hearing aids to my new MacBook Air. however, they will not connect under my home WIFI. In the accessibility window, I will see the connection blinking on and off, but eventually will stop. Any thoughts?

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

Posted on May 26, 2024 9:52 PM

3 replies

May 26, 2024 11:03 PM in response to RJK5053

Hi RJK5053,

welcome to the Apple )user-to-user) Community!

Re: Hearing aids and MacBook Air M3 : I have paired my hearing aids to my new MacBook Air. however, they will not connect under my home WIFI.

Am no expert in his area, yet your question surely deserves some response.

Wondering if your Hearing Aids are capable of bidirectional streaming.

The Made for iPhone (MFi) hearing aids in the linked list below are compatible with iPhone and iPad.

Those marked with an asterisk (*) are also compatible with Mac.

List of Made for iPhone hearing devices - Apple Support

MFi hearing devices marked with an asterisk (*) use bidirectional streaming, which enables you to talk hands-free. Devices that use bidirectional streaming are also compatible with Mac.

Other Mac tips: Use hearing devices with your Mac - Apple Support

Change Hearing Devices settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Some manufacturers may also have an app available, or firmware updates, for their hearing aids.

Many will have a "Support", "Contact", "Compatibility" or "Help" section on their website.

All the best :-)

May 27, 2024 3:02 PM in response to RJK5053

Thank you kindly for your reply, and added info.

Re: "they will not connect under my home WIFI." ... and ... "they paired at the Costco hearing aid center, but will not connect in my home. very puzzling".

Seems most hearing aids will use Bluetooth to connect directly to Mac, TV, and other devices: Eg: Bluetooth settings on Mac - Apple Support

If your particular hearing aids are capable of connecting to wi-fi ... wondering if you are using the manufacturer's app (and with up-to-date firmware) or Apple's Home app when you try to connect them.

Eg: You may have the manufacturer's manual to refer to.

or

How to: Control Home accessories on Mac - Apple Support

Hearing aids and MacBook Air M3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.