iOS 17.5.1 iPhone Xr Cellular issue

Goodmorning community,

This issue started for me on iOS 17.4 (I did slack a little bit due to the fact that I was out of space and needed to clear some things). On Friday, May 24th, 2024, around 08:00 hours EST, my cellular data dropped at work. In the top right of the screen where the service bars normally show, they were gone and replaced with a triangle with an exclamation mark through it. When I went into the settings under Cellular, it only displayed a message: "An update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone."

The first thing I did was reset my iPhone, but it did not fix the issue. So I then popped the SIM card out, reset again, turned it back on, then popped the SIM back in. This did not work. I eventually did a network settings reset under Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone. This did initially fix the issue, but after about an hour, it happened again. Ever since then, I have been constantly resetting my network settings to make it connect.

When I got home, I deleted some photos, then updated to iOS 17.5.1 with the hopes this would solve my issue. Unfortunately, it did not. I have cleared my browser cookies and did a scan for any malware or viruses, but I still have this issue. I have also restored iOS via my iMac, but this did not fix my issue. It is my understanding that this has been an issue for many people.

What do I do now after all of this? I don't want to buy a new SIM card if people online are saying that is not fixing this issue. It seems more of a software issue than hardware at this point.

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on May 27, 2024 5:09 AM

1 reply

iOS 17.5.1 iPhone Xr Cellular issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.