Need help accessing macOS user account

For the last 5 years, I have been locked out of my primary user account on my Mac (spec details below). Background details: I was unable to gain access to my primary user account, despite knowing the correct password. With someone’s assistance, I was able to gain access to my admin account and have been using that account ever since.

When I attempt to login into my primary account (not admin) with the correct password, the spinning wheels spins for eternity and I have to reboot the machine. When I enter the incorrect password, the password bar shakes its head as normal and indicates a wrong password entry.

Any help to gain access to my primary account?

Mac Specs:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, early 2011)
  • macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.6)
  • Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 27, 2024 2:09 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2024 2:45 PM in response to weswork

See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will still be there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

May 27, 2024 3:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your reply. I followed the steps and entered the Terminal commands you suggested and was able to create a new admin account. I am still having the same problem logging into the primary account (for future reference: "user1"). After typing in the correct password, it just gives me an eternal spinning/loading symbol. The issue does not seem to be related to the password.

Any other suggestions?

Need help accessing macOS user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.