smishing texts from identity theft

I get phishing texts 3-4 times in week, that are from an identity theft 3 years ago. (ATT just admitted to it 🤬) They are similar in nature, but change the phone number every time, so blocking it doesn’t do any good. Unfortunately, my information is still out there, and occasionally friends and family still get emails from them, saying something like “can you believe we were that young in these pictures?” with a link to the “pictures”. That slowed down in favor of the texts.

I don’t think it matters, but I’ve been through a number of Iphones and upgrades, including the latest version. I’m on a 14 Pro now.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 29, 2024 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2024 9:39 AM

As long as they have your phone number, you will always get calls/texts no matter what device you use. They can spoof the sending number/email address to make blocking these useless.

As long as they have your email address, you will continue to get emails. The same spoofing practice is also done with emails.

Both your cell provider and internet provider may have SPAM detection settings that may reduce SPAM sent from known sources and for those that are not identifiable.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2024 9:39 AM in response to pblask

As long as they have your phone number, you will always get calls/texts no matter what device you use. They can spoof the sending number/email address to make blocking these useless.

As long as they have your email address, you will continue to get emails. The same spoofing practice is also done with emails.

Both your cell provider and internet provider may have SPAM detection settings that may reduce SPAM sent from known sources and for those that are not identifiable.

Jun 12, 2024 9:03 AM in response to pblask

pblask wrote:

(you'd be surprised at how much they track you!)

Who are "they"?

I went through changing my email before, but the problem is they send an email to your old email address, which would make changes to the new one possibly pointless. But what else can I do?

If "they" send messages to your old email, how does this make a new one pointless? Cancel the old email. However, as the vast majority of spammers and phishers don't target you specifically (for example, they have programs that generate vast numbers of possible email addresses), eventually, you will get spam on the new address.

May 29, 2024 9:12 AM in response to pblask

pblask wrote:

I get phishing texts 3-4 times in week, that are from an identity theft 3 years ago. (ATT just admitted to it 🤬) They are similar in nature, but change the phone number every time, so blocking it doesn’t do any good. Unfortunately, my information is still out there, and occasionally friends and family still get emails from them, saying something like “can you believe we were that young in these pictures?” with a link to the “pictures”. That slowed down in favor of the texts.
I don’t think it matters, but I’ve been through a number of Iphones and upgrades, including the latest version. I’m on a 14 Pro now.

Sorry this isn't an Apple or iphone 14 issue.

Jun 3, 2024 7:50 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

I've been working on changing my email for important things to an Cloud account, making up a new one since I have Cloud +. Something that doesn't have my name in it and isn't a Gmail account. (you'd be surprised at how much they track you!)

I went through changing my email before, but the problem is they send an email to your old email address, which would make changes to the new one possibly pointless. But what else can I do?

Jun 14, 2024 9:12 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

When I said you’d be surprised how much they track you, I meant G-Mail/Google. I found all these files in my documents that I didn’t recognize, like one called Take Out Menus. I knew I didn’t make a file like that, and looking at it, it was information tracking my movements. I researched it, turned out to be Google. You can go in and turn tracking your movements off in settings, but they don’t make it easy.

I did shut the old email down, after watching it for awhile to make sure none of the companies I had changed my email over to had gotten the new email. Once it seemed good I cancelled it. I guess what I meant by not doing any good is that I still got emails from the spammer on my new email, that I had opened after I found out that my identity had been hacked. So how they got the new one I don’t know. Password was different on new email.

I report all spam to reportphishing@apwg.org, reportphishing@tmobile.com,(my cell phone provider)

reportphishing@apple.com and spam. (772-6) If the company named is one I know wants to get a copy of the text/email, I’ll send it to their phishing text site. UPS, Amazon, Apple are a few of the big ones that want you to send it to them. After that I click the report junk and delete on the text menu, when it says it doesn’t recognize the number.

Who knows if it does any good, but at least I’m doing something.

Jun 17, 2024 7:54 AM in response to pblask

pblask wrote:

When I said you’d be surprised how much they track you, I meant G-Mail/Google.

No, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Google's entire business model is built on getting information on people so they can sell more targeted ads. You are not the customer; you are the product.

I report all spam to reportphishing@apwg.org, reportphishing@tmobile.com,(my cell phone provider)
reportphishing@apple.com and spam. (772-6) If the company named is one I know wants to get a copy of the text/email, I’ll send it to their phishing text site.

Probably a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.

smishing texts from identity theft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.