Apple Watch 9 not tracking stairs (steps yes but not stairs climbed)

When we first bought the Watch 9 it worked very well and tracked stairs climbed but lately (as in the last few months) it has not. Is this a bug with the latest watch OS or some other issue?

All the best,

Joe Dawson

Posted on May 30, 2024 11:23 AM

5 replies

May 31, 2024 4:23 AM in response to Joe Dawson

I just tested this on my Ultra 2, climbed 2 sets of stairs, watch and iPhone with me, both were recorded in the Health App/Activity/Flights Climbed, and both show up as a data source.

Then I took off the watch and took only the iPhone with me, climbing the stairs.

The Health App did record the iPhone as a source and added the climbed stairs, but only to the iPhone statistics.

And in the Fitness App I can only see the 2 sets of stairs, the Apple Watch recorded. At least at the moment.

Did you already unpair the watch form the phone and connect it again after that?

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

May 30, 2024 2:44 PM in response to Ingo2711

Yes I should have said that...

This has been an issue for few months. So I have reset the watch and phone a few times. I also have had a few iOS and Watch OS updates in that time.

Today I went into the watch app under privacy at the bottom you can reset fitness calibration.

I have done this because I read someone once said that was an issue.

The steps and all other data is tracking well so I don't think it is an issue with the watch not having good skin contact or anything like that. I don't know if their is a place where the barometer could get stuck.

The altitude in the compass app looks to be about right so I think it SHOULD be ok but the steps is only showing a small number when maybe 10-20 sets of steps have been climb today. The hart rate during that time also went up so it should know something was on the go.

Apple Watch 9 not tracking stairs (steps yes but not stairs climbed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.