Garageband file has giant file size

I'm making a song in garageband for mac and the file size is 800 mb. When i try to delete or make a new track the app buffers for minutes on end or crashes. I looked inside and the source of the issue is the ProjectData file which takes up most of the file size on its own because it has thousands of lines in a row that say stuff like <integer>268435816</integer>. I use the ausampler and soundfonts a lot, and those have been the source of this problem previously, but I want to save my project file so I can finish my song. Does anyone have a fix?

iMac Pro, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 30, 2024 7:47 PM

2 replies

May 31, 2024 11:57 PM in response to bac26

Hi bac26,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I'm making a song in garageband for mac and the file size is 800 mb. When i try to delete or make a new track the app buffers for minutes on end or crashes".

Am wondering whether your Mac has sufficient memory / storage space in which to operate smoothly.

(NB: This is the storage space on your Mac ... iCloud storage is different)

Eg: A Mac generally needs around 50 Gb free storage space in order to do all you ask it to do:

If needed: How to: See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

If you find your Mac is short on space in which the operating system can work smoothly:

It is wise to back-up all of your data securely, before making space:

Eg: Ways to back up or protect your files - Apple Support

How to make storage space available: See: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Else, if your Mac already has at least 50Gb storage space free:

Apple support's online article may be helpful: If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jun 1, 2024 9:56 AM in response to bac26

One more thing - close all other apps, when you are working on your project, so no other app will hog the available memory. It may help to restart the Mac before continuing to work on the project.

Not all sound fonts are compatible with the current GarageBand version. Make sure, that any plug-ins you have installed are compatible with your current system version. After upgrading to GarageBand 10 I had to uninstall all of my audio components and VST plug-inns, because they caused GarageBand to crash.

As a test, can you open your project with your Mac running in Safe mode? Safe Mode will disable all incompatible system extensions.

More details here: If GarageBand isn't working on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Garageband file has giant file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.