Voice to text translation is not work as it should

Unfortunately, due to a recent, health issue I am unable to type correctly. So I have been leveraging the voice to text capabilities quite heavily. There is a noticeable lag between the spoken word and the text appearing on the page where in summon senses, such as right here where I asked to put a period after the word page and waiting, the period did not appear. Then immediately following it translated “some instances”, into “summon senses.” I am dictating this on my iPad Pro.

I am experiencing the following issues irrespective of the software or app that I am using, whether an apple product or non-apple software product:

1. A frequent delay between between voice and the text translation. It can sometimes be up to 15 seconds.
  2. When flags that length occur, by the way, that word is legs, no lags, frequently only some of the words are transcribed. It it doesn’t simply stop mid-sentence and then not translate the rest, that would be too easy. Many times it continues, but at a further point in the sentence and will complete the sentence with entire sections in the middle missing.
  3. When I activate the microphone, I start to dictate and regardless of the program, there is a 15 second or so lag before the first word appears
  4. There are frequent times when I will say a word and the translation service lags, stops. I repeat the word and nothing again. I will then out of frustration shout the word and suddenly that word appear. It just drop words again. I said “suddenly three instances of the word appear”. The phrase “three instances” was just arbitrarily dropped.
  5. Words are frequently transcribed incorrectly. not just simple, understandable errors, like transcribing the term board member into bored member. it will make up a word or a phrase that has no resemblance to what was spoken I said I have a tendency to speak quickly. So now I speak very slowly I am clearly articulating every word in this sentence and is taking me 30 seconds to say to ensure that every word is transcribed correctly. Though that does not always work – 10 second sentence.
  6. Lastly, the service for some reason Will start typing a sentence that I spoke 3,4,5 minutes before. In most of those instances, I was dictating, and the translation service just stopped and hang, not complete the rest of the sentence. So I turned off the microphone and very slowly am able to type the rest of the sentence. Then, out of the blue, the service begins transcribing the sentence that I dictated two or three minutes ago, as if it just woke up and remembered -and the microphone itself is off.

Anyway, I’m sorry this is so long but I’m very frustrated.

I currently use an iMac for the majority of my work if he is a 2019 – maybe too old for this. It hasn’t 3.764until I processor. I’m gonna leave that sentence as is and try to repeat it again. It has 83.7 gig six core Intel I five processor. I’m sorry you’re going to have to try and guess what the correct processor is cause I can’t get it to translate correctly. The computer has 40 gigs of ram and it’s running Sonoma 14.5. I recognize that perhaps the age of this iMac could be a factor, however, I run all of the programs in the Adobe studio suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop and Lightroom concurrently and I noticed no degradation at all in the smooth transitions and Rector calculations in those programs.

my iPad is an iPad Pro running iPadOS 17.5.1. It is 13th generation, it has 256 GB of memory of which 178 GB are available. I also have an iPhone 15 Pro with 512 GB of memory of which 256 are free. And it is running on iOS 17.4.1. I also have a. MacBook Air, but do not have that handy right now.

these issues manifest themselves on each device in a variety of native and native applications. and I apologize I can’t remember exactly what it is called, but I did read that there is a voice or speech, dictionary, or some sort of database that it was recommended if you reset it or delete it and start over it might help. And I have already followed those instructions of deleting that specific item, and it hasn’t helped the situation,

If anybody has any guidance direction or advice, I would much appreciate it. I don’t know if the Apple product is just not mature or evolved enough that it is an effective and reliable replacement for a keyboard. But as this feature has been working for me somewhat reliably up until the last month or so I have not had time to investigate if there is another non-Apple solution that would be more effective and more reliable. Spoke very slow to get this out because I wanted to have a few errors and corrections to make. It is now an hour and 15 minutes to dictate this one request. Unfortunately that is not A reasonable period to accomplish, which should be a fairly easy or painless process.

Posted on Jun 1, 2024 1:49 PM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2024 4:10 PM in response to SFPhototog

Hi SFPhototog,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "Voice to text translation is not work as it should.

I have been leveraging the voice to text capabilities quite heavily."

Commiserations on all you are going through right now.

Am no expert in this area, yet your thoughtfully composed post certainly deserves some reply.

Thank you for including those finer details about your Macs, devices, and your methods of working.

As you don't mention it: Wondering if you have tried using Voice Control on your Macs and devices:

If not, you may choose to try it out to see if it works better for you, and for your own ways of working.

Eg: Apple Support's article: Turn Voice Control on or off on Mac - Apple Support

says "With Voice Control on your Mac, you can use your voice to navigate the desktop and apps, interact with what’s on the screen, dictate and edit text, and more".

More info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ykg3jZ9_k

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg22JaZWAgs

Please feel free to let us know of any information we may be able to supply, if needed.

As Apple users, like yourself, we are limited to what we can post back and forth with you here.

or

You may want to contact Apple for more expert help with any Accessibility feature.

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

Apple's Accessibility Support Website: (Eg: phone, online chat, email etc.)

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

Else, if you wish: To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product,

you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

Apple's Product and Software feedback webpage: Product Feedback - Apple

All the best :-)

Voice to text translation is not work as it should

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.