How to make one band video with about eight movies

I'm going to be filming my band's next eight or so gigs positioning the camera in different spots each time (drummer overhead, guitar fretboard, singer, etc, etc.. I hope to then put those clips into iMovie and then quilt those eight movies together into one video performance using one audio track. So in the end I have one full chosen song but with many different edits/angles as if I had eight cameras going that night. How the heck do I do that?? Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 3, 2024 9:43 AM

11 replies

Jun 3, 2024 12:03 PM in response to smk17

Just do it like they do any concert film.

Choose one version that you like the best. Use the soundtrack from that for the movie. Use the video from that as your base video.

Now cut in snippets from the other videos.

Add audio from a video clip in iMovie on Mac - Apple Support

I think you will find, that other than the drummer, most of the timings don't have to be that precise.

Jun 5, 2024 1:09 PM in response to smk17

As mentioned earlier, Final Cut Pro is the ideal app for creating such videos.

What did I hear you say, you don't want to spend 300 quid?

Well you don't have to as there is a 90 day free trial with no strings attached. You don't have to give any personal details or credit card numbers . . . just hit the Download Now button and it's yours for 90 days at the end of which it will stop working unless you decide to buy it . . . but wait, whenever it is updated you can download the new version for another 90 days!

Final Cut Pro for Mac - Free Trial - Apple (UK)

Jun 3, 2024 12:16 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Keith, much appreciated. Though I think the "cut in snippets" is the part where I need help. Do I drag all eight movies to the timeline so they're all stacked? I guess I don't know how to take snippets from the other clips and quilt 50 snippets together into the base video so they're all in one line. Thanks

Jun 4, 2024 9:14 PM in response to smk17

Hi,

Put your videos into an event that can then be accessed from your project. Then drag into the timeline your main video with the preferred sound track. Drag in your other videos individually one at a time and insert into the upper timeline, editing one before bringing in the other. So, for example, add in all of the drummer cutaways, then do the singer, etc. You can slide the segments left and right in the upper timeline to keep things in sync. Once you trim a clip to create a segment, you can bring in the same clip again to create another segment using a different portion of the clip.

The segments in the upper timeline will be cutaways that will play in the main movie in place of the portion of the main movie beneath it. You may need to mute the sound of the clip in the upper video, or in the portion of the clip in the main video beneath it.

— Rich

How to make one band video with about eight movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.