iPhone alarm not making sound or vibrating

I had to make an Apple community account just for this because this issue still has not been solved by Apple. This has been asked previously many times by others. Over many years, others have reported the exact same issue with no real response from Apple. I set the alarm on my iPhone and at random times, it does not make a sound or vibrate, only displaying the alarm UI on my screen but doing nothing else.

My volume is turned up all the way, the phone is not set to silent, and I have tried different alarm sounds to no effect. I have tested this out myself, and although this seems to happen at random intervals, it has happened while I was looking directly at the phone before, so I am 100% sure there is an issue.

This is not required to recreate it, but the bug can be intentionally reproduced most of the time by doing the following: setting an alarm or timer to be more than one hour from the current time, not interacting with the phone at all until the alarm goes off, then having someone call you or receiving a notification around the time the alarm goes off or as it begins to. The alarm will not make any sound during this call or notification and will make none after. Being in a discord call or having a YouTube video playing in the background also has a chance to silence the alarm. Having headphones connected, either wired or Bluetooth, also seems to increase the chance of the alarm being silent.

Yes, the alarm has to be more than one hour, and I do not know why. You can imagine how annoying it is to have to wait one hour to test it each time, but yes, I did have the patience for this.

This still also does not explain why the alarm sometimes does not go off when I have the phone set to Do Not Disturb and Airplane mode enabled to minimize calls and notifications. This means that while other sounds from the phone can silence the alarm, they are not the core of this issue since it is still present in a phone blocking notifications and offline completely.

Apple has responded to this question before by telling people to turn up the volume, change the vibration settings, change the alarm sound, and check if other devices like headphones are connected. I have tried all of these, and aside from having headphones connected, there did not seem to be any change in the chance of the alarm going off or not. If you answer the question by telling me to do these again, I will lose my mind. I have spent too much time testing it by now, so I beg of you, please give me a different answer.

iPhone 14

Posted on Jun 3, 2024 1:51 PM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2024 2:31 PM in response to FullMetalJake

FullMetalJake wrote:

I had to make an Apple community account just for this because this issue still has not been solved by Apple. This has been asked previously many times by others. Over many years, others have reported the exact same issue with no real response from Apple. I set the alarm on my iPhone and at random times, it does not make a sound or vibrate, only displaying the alarm UI on my screen but doing nothing else.

My volume is turned up all the way, the phone is not set to silent, and I have tried different alarm sounds to no effect. I have tested this out myself, and although this seems to happen at random intervals, it has happened while I was looking directly at the phone before, so I am 100% sure there is an issue.

This is not required to recreate it, but the bug can be intentionally reproduced most of the time by doing the following: setting an alarm or timer to be more than one hour from the current time, not interacting with the phone at all until the alarm goes off, then having someone call you or receiving a notification around the time the alarm goes off or as it begins to. The alarm will not make any sound during this call or notification and will make none after. Being in a discord call or having a YouTube video playing in the background also has a chance to silence the alarm. Having headphones connected, either wired or Bluetooth, also seems to increase the chance of the alarm being silent.

Yes, the alarm has to be more than one hour, and I do not know why. You can imagine how annoying it is to have to wait one hour to test it each time, but yes, I did have the patience for this.

This still also does not explain why the alarm sometimes does not go off when I have the phone set to Do Not Disturb and Airplane mode enabled to minimize calls and notifications. This means that while other sounds from the phone can silence the alarm, they are not the core of this issue since it is still present in a phone blocking notifications and offline completely.

Apple has responded to this question before by telling people to turn up the volume, change the vibration settings, change the alarm sound, and check if other devices like headphones are connected. I have tried all of these, and aside from having headphones connected, there did not seem to be any change in the chance of the alarm going off or not. If you answer the question by telling me to do these again, I will lose my mind. I have spent too much time testing it by now, so I beg of you, please give me a different answer.

So what happens when you take your phone to the Apple store?

iPhone alarm not making sound or vibrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.