Problem connecting to the server

I have a NAS hardwired to my network, which includes my iMac.

I recently had to reinstall the NAS software and renamed the NAS at the same time, which in hindsight probably wasn't such a good idea.

Everything works as it should, but occasionally I get this error:

This is the 'old' name, so what do I need to do to stop my iMac from trying to connect to it? It connects to the 'new' one perfectly.

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 12:04 AM

7 replies

Jun 8, 2024 11:26 AM in response to kaz-k

Router is brand new from the broadband provider, although I appreciate that means nothing!

I've had issues with my broadband dropping regularly since I started with my current provider about 2 months ago, and they've been out to test external and internal wiring and the router, so it should be OK.

I can pin down when it happens, though:

When I connect my iPhone via USB Photos opens and, if there are any new images, I'll import them into Photos and delete them from my iPhone. Easy.

A minute or so later, the pop-up appears.

I spoke with Apple Support about this, and they don't understand it either - even though they've watched it happen when screen sharing.

They told me to ask Synology..!

Jun 9, 2024 12:34 PM in response to Nightowl4933

Sorry, I thought I'd replied earlier...

I've determined what's causing this issue, but I can't find a solution - even with help from Apple Support.

Essentially, what is happening is the only time (so far) I get the pop-up is shortly after I connect my iPhone to my iMac using a USB cable.

Photos starts up (as I've set it to do) and, even if I do nothing else, I get the pop-up about a minute later:

This happens every time and, to be clear, this is the serve name of the NAS before I reinstalled DSM and renamed it.

Thank you.

Problem connecting to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.