Why is my Apple ID showing wrong location in Two-Factor Verification?

I have set two-factor verification for my Apple ID. Now when I log on on my iPhone a message appears on my iMac "this device is being used to log in around Amsterdam", needless to say I'm nowhere near there.So the message coincides with my request but the location doesn't fit. Also the subtext is "this is a new device" which it obviously isn't.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 24″

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 1:51 AM

3 replies

Jun 4, 2024 7:05 PM in response to paul382

A possible reason for an incorrect location is explained in the section titled, "The first time that you sign in with your Apple ID on a new device" by clicking on the link for the support article 'Two-factor authentication for Apple ID' --> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support and in Reject unknown sign-in attempts - Apple Support

"The notification might include a map of the approximate location of the sign-in attempt. This location is based on the new device's IP address and might reflect the network that it's connected to, rather than the exact physical location."

If you're connecting with wifi and not cellular, and the Internet service provider has their headquarters in another location, it may report the service provider's location and not where you are located. If you're using a VPN the location could be the VPN server's location.

You have an idea as to possible reasons for misidentifying your location. If you are comfortable it is one of those, just say okay.

Jun 4, 2024 3:25 AM in response to paul382

There are a couple of reasons why your two-factor verification might be showing a wrong location for your iPhone login:

• IP Address: Unlike the Maps app, two-factor verification relies on your IP address to estimate location. This can be misleading if you're connected to a corporate network, VPN, or even a regular ISP where equipment assignments might shift.
  • ISP Location: Even on a standard ISP connection, the location shown might reflect the location of your internet service provider's servers rather than your exact location.

Why is my Apple ID showing wrong location in Two-Factor Verification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.