Apps using face id but stored in keychain

Hi,

I have multiple applications all using Face ID but the passwords are not stored in keychain ?

keychain is switched on and I have tried the ‘sync now ‘ but but only some of my passwords seem to be stored ?

any ideas how I get all my password in keychain.

its an iPhone 12

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 6:15 AM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2024 6:25 AM in response to Sharonw1010

While iCloud Keychain doesn't directly store passwords for individual apps, it can store login credentials for websites associated with those apps. 

Here's how it breaks down:

• App-Specific Logins: When you log in to an app that doesn't have a web interface (think mobile games or music players), iCloud Keychain won't store those specific app passwords.
  • Website Logins for Apps: If the app you're using has a corresponding website (like a social media app or online banking), iCloud Keychain can store the password you use for the website login. This is because the website login often uses the same credentials as the app itself.
  • Autofill Convenience: When you revisit the website on Safari or another compatible browser, iCloud Keychain can then automatically fill in your login information based on the stored website credentials. In many cases, this same login information will also work for the app itself.

Here's an example:

• Imagine you use a social media app called "Chatter." "Chatter" doesn't have a website, so iCloud Keychain won't store a password specifically for "Chatter."
  • However, "Chatter" might have a website at "chatther.com" where you can manage your account settings.
  • If you log in to "chatther.com" on Safari and save your password with iCloud Keychain, it will remember those credentials.
  • The next time you open the "Chatter" app, there's a good chance it will recognize the login information stored for "chatther.com" and allow you to log in to the app without needing to re-enter your password.

In short, iCloud Keychain focuses on storing website logins, but these website credentials can often be used for the corresponding apps as well.

Apps using face id but stored in keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.