I can no longer find text formatting options for writing emails on iPad Pro Ipad OS 17

I have scoured the discussion boards and web and yet have not found a solution to display text formatting options for my Ipad Pro Apple Mail App. Whether using software keyboard or magic keyboard no text formatting options appear. No Aa options anywhere. Stage Manager on or off, doesn’t impact

I think this is a bug, unless some enlightened user here has ideas. I only see formatting options on highlighted text to bold or italics or underline. I also looked at previous conversations here at Since installing iOS 17 on my iPad Pro I … - Apple Community 

Why can’t these text Aa options be included in the Toolbar where they would always be accessible. Very annoying.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 6, 2024 6:25 AM

5 replies

Jun 6, 2024 1:50 PM in response to Stu Baker1

Stu Baker1 wrote:

APPLE FOLKS: Possible compromise, the formatting options should at least be available in the toolbar if you have shortcuts turned off. That way people can quickly get to the formatting options without having to waste time figuring out a workaround like I did.

If you want this feedback and suggestion to reach Apple you will need to submit it via the feedback form as this is primarily a user to user forum that Apple does not monitor for that purpose.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Jun 6, 2024 3:25 PM in response to Stu Baker1

Stu Baker1 wrote:

FYI for those that are having similar problems - I had to turn OFF the setting GENERAL->KEYBOARD->SHORTCUTS to see the formatting and other menus. This is not a great workaround. I get why you might not want the popup palette. Note this is iPad OS specific as I did not see this same option on my iPhone but never had this problem.

Now this is odd - as enabling the "." shortcut option should not affect availability of the aA text formatting button.

Sometimes iOS/iPadOS settings can go awry for reasons that appear impossible to replicate. This fix is usually straightforward, requiring that you reset iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Jun 6, 2024 11:42 AM in response to Stu Baker1

FYI for those that are having similar problems - I had to turn OFF the setting GENERAL->KEYBOARD->SHORTCUTS to see the formatting and other menus. This is not a great workaround. I get why you might not want the popup palette. Note this is iPad OS specific as I did not see this same option on my iPhone but never had this problem.

APPLE FOLKS: Possible compromise, the formatting options should at least be available in the toolbar if you have shortcuts turned off. That way people can quickly get to the formatting options without having to waste time figuring out a workaround like I did.

I can no longer find text formatting options for writing emails on iPad Pro Ipad OS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.