Is Apple's Trade-in Program trustworthy?

The online evaluation asks if there's any physical defects, damage, or working issues and then gives an estimate trade-in value.

My iPad Air 2 was in great condition (It lived in a case its whole life) and was working when I sent it in.

I just got an email that the valuation has dropped to $0 because the "LCD display burn in damage/streaks/discoloration across the screen"

My device did NOT have that problem when I sent it in. I don't know where they're coming up with this.

I rejected the trade and requested it sent back to me.

Now I'm worried that they're going to send me a different device than the one I sent in.

What can I do about this?

iPad Air 2

Posted on Jun 6, 2024 7:43 AM

3 replies

Jun 7, 2024 6:07 AM in response to Dria JS

As commented by Ozzie1910, you should have record of your device serial number. Unless the device has already been removed from your AppleID account or device list, you will be able to check the Serial Number.

For iPad and iPhone, you can find your device list in settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] - scroll down to find the device of interest; tap the see the device details

You can also find device details simply by signing-in to your AppleID account from any computer using a web-browser:

https://appleid.apple.com

Having signed-in, open the Devices tab. Here you will find an entry for every device associated with your AppleID; tap the related entry to see full technical details of the device - including Serial Numbers and IMEI/MEID of Cellular devices.

Trade In

If shipping your iPad to Apple for trade-in, your iPad will be inspected and evaluated upon receipt by Apple's trade-in partner. If the declared condition of the device differs from that declared on-line, or a fault is found, this can significantly reduce or completely eliminate any residual trade-in value.

Screen defects of any kind can significantly impact the assessed trade-in value.

Many end-users prefer to complete the trade-in process at an Apple Store - and this (a) eliminates any uncertainty as to value and (b) provides opportunity to challenge the assessment. In-store, your iPad will be assessed - and a value offered; you can either accept the offer, or leave with your iPad in your possession. If you accept the offer, you will have the choice of using the value directly against an immediate purchase of a device of your choice - or take the trade-in value as a gift card to be used against a future purchase.

Anecdotal comments (from reports appearing within this Support Community) suggest that when “inspected” by technicians for warranty claims, displays exhibiting minor screen defects are generally considered to be fault-free - until such time as an inspection relates to a possible trade-in, at which point an affected screen might be assessed as damaged or defective.

Is Apple's Trade-in Program trustworthy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.