You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore App Store app on child’s iPad

We are in an Apple family, and for period of time I had turned off my child’s ability to install apps. Last night, I wanted to restore that ability, yet no matter what I do the App Store app will not return to his home screen or App Library. The only way to get it to show up is to completely turn off content and privacy restrictions. I’ve gone through every option listed in content and privacy and turned them all to allow, and yet the App Store will not return unless the restrictions are completely shut off, resulting in my six-year-old being able to access his entire apple account which I do not want. I’ve tried resetting the home screen, restarting and resetting the entire iPad, and toggling allow install apps on and off repeatedly to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions I would love them. I am tech savvy and I have tried all of the things that have been suggested on the various websites online. I’ve even tried changing the settings from my own devices, but no change. Other apps will show up/disappear appropriately as they are toggled on/off (ex. Safari) but the App Store remains missing from the Home Screen and the App Library unless the the entire content and restriction section is toggled off.

iPad (10th generation)

Posted on Jun 7, 2024 4:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2024 11:14 AM

Interestingly, I notice now when I toggle install apps to allow and go out of the settings, the App Store will reappear for a quick second on the Home Screen/App Library, then disappears again and can’t be searched. Something just isn’t working right. Here’s a screen shot of every app on the device, there’s nothing that should be causing this.

19 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Phil0124

Interestingly, I notice now when I toggle install apps to allow and go out of the settings, the App Store will reappear for a quick second on the Home Screen/App Library, then disappears again and can’t be searched. Something just isn’t working right. Here’s a screen shot of every app on the device, there’s nothing that should be causing this.

Jun 7, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Phil0124

Yes, I agree and understand. The setting is set to allow. I’ve toggled the setting between allow/don’t allow in an attempt to get it to right itself. With that setting as “allow”, the App Store does not appear, as I stated in my original problem. Not even in the App Library, not even with spotlight search. The ONLY way to get the app to appear is to completely turn off the toggle for the entire content and privacy section. I understand how it *should* work, I’m saying it isn’t working that way.

Jun 11, 2024 8:27 PM in response to Katharine0785

I am having this same problem but on my Iphone13. I have a child with autism and is easily triggered so I use the content and privacy restrictions daily. I ususally just toggle allow and don't allow on installing apps and it will return to my screen when I need it. I too have restarted my phone several times. I have signed out of my apple account and signed back in. Tried several things I found online and nothing is working.

Jun 9, 2024 6:20 PM in response to trulie192

I’m at least glad to hear it’s not just me! It’s so frustrating. Also we have it set up so we get the notification that he’s asking for a game, I stopped getting them, I had to completely reset my phone to get them back! They worked for a while and just today I stopped getting notifications again. I love the built-in parent controls but I wish they worked reliably, I feel like there’s always one issue or another with the iPad not locking out at bedtime or not getting notifications or whatever.

Jun 14, 2024 7:39 AM in response to Katharine0785

I spent quite a bit of time speaking to Apple support with no resolution. It appears to be a bug from the most recent update. I was told to call the Senior Advisor department and maybe they could help 1-800-275-2273. Though I haven’t had a big enough window of time yet with my child’s phone to call. Give them a call, see what they say and hopefully multiple inquiries will initiate a resolution.

Jun 7, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Phil0124

There are no other control-type apps on the device. Again I also completely reset the device and set it up as a new device, not from iCloud, so if anything else were in play it would have been deleted. Unfortunately resetting the device doesn’t reset the screen time settings, as soon as I link it to my child it reapplies the same screen time settings with the ongoing issue. The problem is obviously related to that category, as again when I toggle the whole category off, the app is immediately visible, as it should be even with that toggle on, since the download apps option is set to allow. These child safety settings have always been a bit unstable and I’m afraid this is an issue of that being the case, since no one seems to have a good explanation. I wish Apple had an option to completely reset the screen time settings to factory and start over.

Jun 7, 2024 7:09 AM in response to Katharine0785

There's only one place that controls the availability of the App Store. That is the Screen Time setting in Content & Privacy Restrictions ➜ iTunes & App Store purchases ➜ Installing Apps.

That is it, nowhere else.

If you turn off Content & Privacy Restrictions but leave Installing apps set to "Don't Allow", then the App Store will remain disabled.

Make sure that setting is set to Allow. That's the only thing in settings that controls the App Store.

Once set to allow, you can try using the Spotlight search to try to find the App Store App.

Jun 7, 2024 9:16 AM in response to Katharine0785

As I said that is the only option that controls this with Screen Time. If still not visible then something else outside of Screen Time restrictions is at play.

If you have an additional parental app like Kids 360, Bark etc.. in play that can change settings, check in there. It may be overriding the Screen Time settings except when Screen Time is entirely turned off.

Cannot restore App Store app on child’s iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.