Mac Studio cannot detect multiple displays from Docking Station

Hi All,

I have a new Mac Studio M2 Max - Sonoma 14.5. I would like to connect it to my Docking Station (Lenovo ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock (40AY0090UK) which is plugged into 3 display monitors (Samsung S27R65x). The 3 displays are connected via 2x DP and 1x HDMI to the docking station.

My docking station is connected to the Mac Studio via a single USB-C Cable. The Mac Studio feeds into all 3 displays as duplicates. However, i cannot extend the displays to treat them as separate monitors (as Mac Studios only sees 1 monitor in my Display settings.

Can anyone advise?

Posted on Jun 7, 2024 8:44 PM

3 replies

Jun 8, 2024 6:43 AM in response to russellfall

better leave that USB docking station connected to the Windows machine it was connected to.

On the Mac, you can support up to TWO displays ONLY when the Port, the cable and the first device (Dock or Display) are genuine ThunderBolt devices.

Mac standards for display quality are very high. USB-C cables have only half the data pathways of ThunderBolt, so the Mac does NOT support more than ONE display on a USB-C Docking station. This assures you have enough bandwidth to support your displays at high resolutions and full color.

Mac Studio cannot detect multiple displays from Docking Station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.