Focus mode for security like banking, Message attachments, automatically join non-secure Wi-Fi networks, connect to accessory?

I need help with setting up Focus mode for higher security.

Example is without Lockdown Mode, my bank website does not download statements. Then turn off afterwards.

Also, I have been subscribing to 3rd party security APPs for security but please correct me if wrong, they are inferior to built-in security features such as Lockdown Mode.

However, I cannot easily toggle Lockdown Mode such as sharing Contact to another device.

is there a Focus Mode for security?

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 8, 2024 12:43 AM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2024 1:27 PM in response to Sunnyintoronto123

Perhaps to 'update your passwords' more frequently, & not try to get

a new Apple ID in a fuller sense, may do you better good altogether?

And still avoid third-party security &/or AV apps as they are worthless.

Those AI generated replies to these 'user-to-user' discussions might not

be accurate; even if they look be signed-off with a humanist sentiment.

..The iOS versions have newer user guides from Apple Support online..

Jun 8, 2024 9:55 PM in response to Tulkas-Astaldo

Thanks,

1. is erase device equivalent to full factory reset?
  2. how to retain paid APPs after changing Apple ID (remove and create new)?
  3. Why does some Website registration rejects Hide My Email?
  4. Since there is no Apple ID sandbox during trial period of APP, how to change Apple ID easily? I frequently try APPs and uninstall disqualified ones. Majority of my Apps are paid which should pose less issues.

Jun 8, 2024 12:58 AM in response to Sunnyintoronto123

Enabling focus mode or creating a custom focus mode does not provide any security features at all. Any third-party security app in the App Store doesn’t actually provide any additional security. The reason for this is because Apple does not allow apps in the App Store to have access or functional control to the operating system of your device because that itself is a security issue. Most of the third-party security apps in the App Store really only check that you have updated operating system and sometimes will check the security of your network if you are on Wi-Fi but this also doesn’t add any additional security. If you can’t download your bank statements without being on lockdown mode, this means that there’s most likely something on your operating system that is compromising your device. The best advice that I can give you as someone who works in cyber security is to do a full factory reset of your device and create a new Apple ID. Doing a full factory reset should wipe your operating system completely and restored it to factory settings. Well removing your Apple ID and creating a new one should remove any data associated with your Apple ID and it’s apps which may have been compromised creating security issues.

Jun 8, 2024 1:40 AM in response to Tulkas-Astaldo

Thanks for prompt response. I also previously thought third-party security apps is less useful on mobile vs desktop but most of security APPs I encountered claim to alert surfing and communication such as WhatsApp and SMS attachments such as URL.

With accessibility to switch between security levels and banking is as-hoc activity, I prefer dedicated iOS device for security which is a primary reason why I hesitate to own a later iOS device rather than carry two older iOS devices with me because latest an greatest iOS device does not seem to offer accessibility to easily security levels with a click.

Jun 9, 2024 4:13 AM in response to Tulkas-Astaldo

I like to add requirement of said bank to use lockdown mode for download also happens to my purchased from Apple device. This leads me to trust my device is not infected with viruses nor malware. And I still have not found any cybersecurity factory reset resource.

BTW. I am still bearing the inconvenience of Lockdown Mode (like inability to Airdrop Photo which is not listed as drawback on Apple Website) to be on the safe side and to save me remembering and then clicking on settings whenever I need to do financial online.

Focus mode for security like banking, Message attachments, automatically join non-secure Wi-Fi networks, connect to accessory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.