MacOS Finder Preview Limited to 20-21 Alpha Channels

Issue Summary:

MacOS Finder does not generate image previews for files with more than 21 Alpha Channels.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create or obtain an RGB image with more than 21 Alpha Channels, or download from Adobe forum here.
  2. Save the image in .tif, .psb, or .psd format with "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" enabled in Adobe Photoshop (for greatest file compatibility; though this doesn't impact results).
  3. Observe the lack of a preview/thumbnail from a Finder Window.

Expected Behavior:

MacOS should generate and display an image preview/thumbnail regardless of the number of Alpha Channels.

Observed Behavior:

• Finder does not generate an image preview for images with more than 21 Alpha Channels.
  • The default file icon (tif/psb/psd) is shown instead of the actual image thumbnail.
  • The `qlmanage` command hangs when attempting to generate previews for these images.
  • Image size is not a limiting factor; tests failed on images less than 150 KB.
  • This behavior occurs regardless if the image has a transparent background (transparent background + more than 20 Alpha Channels) or has been flattened (more than 21 Alpha Channels).

Use Case:

In a custom application on MacOS, the following shell script is used to generate image previews:

qlmanage -t [sourcePath] -s 512 -o [outputPath]

This script hangs if the image has more than 21 alpha channels, even if the image is small in size.

Testing Environment:

While not limited to this environment, testing was done on the latest software/hardware:

• MacOS: Sonoma 14.5
  • Adobe Photoshop: 2024 (25.6.0); "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" enabled
  • Device: 2023 MacBookPro 16-inch M3 Max 128GB

Attachments:

Screenshot attached for reference. The files used in testing can be found on the Adobe forum here.

Suggestions Requested:

Any insights or solutions to ensure image previews are generated correctly in the Finder for images with more than 21 alpha channels would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jun 8, 2024 9:21 AM

3 replies

Jun 8, 2024 9:37 AM in response to cswita

cswita wrote:

Issue Summary:
MacOS Finder does not generate image previews for files with more than 21 Alpha Channels.

Steps to Reproduce:
Create or obtain an RGB image with more than 21 Alpha Channels, or download from Adobe forum here1. .
2. Save the image in .tif, .psb, or .psd format with "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" enabled in Adobe Photoshop (for greatest file compatibility; though this doesn't impact results).
3. Observe the lack of a preview/thumbnail from a Finder Window.

Expected Behavior:
MacOS should generate and display an image preview/thumbnail regardless of the number of Alpha Channels.

I would try some other app beside Photoshop.app if you have an issue...

For Finder preview,, try QuickLook—View and edit files with Quick Look on Mac

You can compare the different views in Finder, and compare your results:

List, Columns, Gallery, Icon

a more universal file type would be .png, compared to your " .tif, .psb, or .psd"

no resolve—

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.5

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Jun 8, 2024 2:47 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas,

Thank you for the response.

The files are created in Photoshop; no other application allows you to save in Photoshop's .psd or .psb format so I'm not following what application you would propose other than Photoshop.app to create those files? Also, since the files will always be generated with Photoshop, using a different app would not solve the issue.

Here are some more details to answer the other questions...

• The same issue occurs with QuickLook, whether via the simple approach suggested of using the space bar on the image, when viewing the preview in the Preview Pane, or via the 'qlmanage' code referenced in the code above.

• This issue presents itself regardless of the view in the Finder window (i.e., list, icon, etc.).

• Notably, another observation is that when the image layers are flattened, but the image has 21 Alpha Channels, an image thumbnail will be visible from the Finder window, but the QuickLook Preview will only show the full image if the top Alpha Channel is White... if it's Black, QuickLook Preview will not show anything. If more than 21 Alpha Channels, the image thumbnail reverts to the generic Photoshop thumbnail.

• Having a White Alpha Channel at the top of the Alpha Channels is a general workaround to avoid only part of the image from being displayed, but this does not resolve fix the issue when the number of Alpha Channels gets in the 21+ range.

I suspect this is a bug/enhancement for MacOS/QuickLook.

I will report on the site suggested. Thank you!

Jun 8, 2024 4:25 PM in response to cswita

cswita wrote:

What's an "alpha channel" (plural)? That must be a Photoshop thing like layers. I can pretty much tell you now that it's a Photoshop problem.

Save the image in .tif, .psb, or .psd format with "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" enabled in Adobe Photoshop (for greatest file compatibility; though this doesn't impact results).

It would be better to use only TIF images for issues like this. All bets are off for proprietary image formats like PSD. I know you said it happens with TIF images, but you only posted PSD examples. Since that's a proprietary format, a logical assumption is that only Photoshop fully supports these files.

Here's the problem. PSD is a proprietary image format. Apple generally only provides Quicklook preview for common image formats. PSD is one of the outliers. It used to be more common, which is why Apple has support for it in the first place. There are many similar threads regarding EPS files after Apple completely removed support from EPS from the operating system.

For whatever reason, Apple still has some PSD support. But I'm sure this is very old. I don't know when Adobe added this concept of multiple alpha channels, but Apple's PSD support probably pre-dates that. That's why you don't see them and won't ever see them.

Finder does not generate an image preview for images with more than 21 Alpha Channels.

Finder doesn't generate any image previews. It is the responsibility of an app to generate QuickLook previews for the documents it supports. Apple does provides some QuickLook generators for very common file formats. But those are subject to Apple's whims (like EPS) or to Apple's lack of interest in proprietary formats (PSD, RAW, etc.) Maybe PSD is one of those. I don't know.

For example, when I downloaded your examples, it is Pixelmator Pro that manages the QuickLook previews on my computer. I see the same problem that you describe, I guess. Obviously only one file has a valid preview. The most likely explanation is that Apple's ancient PSD logic doesn't fully support this format. Obviously Apple's built-in QuickLook preview is going to use Apple's logic. Apparently Pixelmator Pro uses Apple's logic too.

An important point here is that I don't know what app is providing the previews for PSD files on your computer. One would assume that Photoshop does this. But I realize that Photoshop has every poor Mac support. Adobe users are constantly complaining in these forums about Adobe bugs and limitations. Apparently Adobe just blames their own failures on Apple and sends people to this forum so they don't have to deal with their own unhappy customers. So perhaps Adobe doesn't provide any Quicklook previews at all. (I've noticed how Adobe used to have beautiful icons years ago and now they're just squares with letters. It makes sense that they couldn't manage a decent preview.)

• The `qlmanage` command hangs when attempting to generate previews for these images.

Just so you know, Apple's procedures for generating these previews has radically changes over the past decade or so. qlmanage may be hacked up enough to still provide some functionality. But that's one of the reasons why you don't see so many previews anymore. None the preview apps from years ago will run any more. It's a long story.

Any insights or solutions to ensure image previews are generated correctly in the Finder for images with more than 21 alpha channels would be greatly appreciated.

Ask Adobe to properly support their own image formats on the Mac. I realize that's a futile effort.

no other application allows you to save in Photoshop's .psd or .psb format so I'm not following what application you would propose other than Photoshop.app to create those files?

Actually Preview can export in PSD format if you hold down the option key. Not sure how long that support will last. It will definitely last the weekend. Not sure about Monday. 😄

The same issue occurs with QuickLook

To clarify, all of this is QuickLook. There are two kinds of QuickLook generators - previews and icons.

This is just a really basic problem with popular files formats. Adobe wants everyone to use Adobe products so they publish formats for "compatibility". Apple et al. add support for PSD and PDF. Then Adobe goes crazy adding new features to PSD and PDF. Apple can't keep up. Yes, it's Apple's fault for falling for it. But now Apple has enough customers and money not to care.

MacOS Finder Preview Limited to 20-21 Alpha Channels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.