Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again

I am trying to connect an aging network storage (WD ShareSpaces) device to my Studio Mac, running the latest version of macOS Sonoma (14.5). I have connected the storage device via Ethernet cable directly to my Studio Mac. I can see the network storage in the finder under network. I can also log into the admin module via Safari and make sure I have the proper credentials. but when I try to mount the device and enter my credentials I get the error message: Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again. I played with the Ethernet connection. At the moment it says self-assigned IP and is yellow. I also set it before to manually and entered the device IP to turn the Ethernet connection green, but still get the same error. Any ideas what to do?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 9, 2024 7:12 PM

6 replies

Jun 10, 2024 7:16 AM in response to QAXPMN

When you connect directly, rather than to a port on your Router, the NAS device keeps its "self-assigned" IP address and can be reached using that address. But its numeric IP address is usually the only address.

When you connect it to your Router, it can be given a good local IP address and then may be reachable by name as well.

Are you running VPN? if you are, EVERY internet references is sent out onto the internet, and then attempts to connect back through the Internet to your Mac. It will likely never get there. if it does, it will be very very Slow.

--------

<< I can see the network storage in the finder under network. >>

Then what happens when you double-click on the icon you see on Network device in Finder?

NB>> you can not use Disk Utility to MOUNT the device, as Disk Utility only manipulates LOCAL devices.

Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.