Can't Control HomePod music from other devices

I have a HomePod, along with an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and a Macbook Pro (2020). All software is up to date on both devices, although I am unsure how to check HomePod software level.

If I use Hey Siri and ask HomePod to play something, it works. But if I go to another device, such an my iPhone, and go to Music, then under AirPlay select Control Other Speakers& TVs, and then select the HomePod, I am unable to play music on it.

I am on the same WiFi network as the HomePod. I have unplugged the power and plugged it back in. I have done a Restart on it from the Home app. I have done a Reset from the Home app and set it up as new. I was completely shocked that, after setting it up as new, the problem persisted.

I have no ideas on what to do next. Please help!

HomePod, 17

Posted on Jun 10, 2024 1:21 PM

13 replies

Jun 10, 2024 4:54 PM in response to xtheguitarmanx

First, to check which software version HomePod is on , open the Home App and tap on the HonePod and select Accessory Settings or the gear icon and scroll down to bottom where you see Version.

your troubleshooting was good but missed a couple of things you should try: reboot your wifi modem and restart your device; Mac or iPhone , etc.

Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Try changing the AirPlay settings on your device:

1. Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad with the latest version of iOS.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Tap AirPlay & Handoff, then tap Automatically AirPlay.
  4. Choose a setting. Never: Manually choose a device for AirPlay. Ask: Get suggested AirPlay connection notifications.

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jun 12, 2024 12:18 PM in response to xtheguitarmanx

Perhaps try Adding the Doja Cat songs to your Library to see if this changes the behaviour. You can Add songs without them downloading automatically. You can change this in settings to prevent downloads to music you Add.

Go to Settings > Music, then turn off Automatic Downloads so songs you Add wont automatically be downloaded to iPhone.

Add music to iPhone and listen offline - Apple Support

Jun 14, 2024 2:39 PM in response to Vancouver22

Well I am very excited to share that I have figured it out!!

It turns out that there is a setting to disable explicit content from playing on the HomePod. You can read about how to change it here: Change HomePod settings - Apple Support

All of the songs that I could not play had in common that they had explicit lyrics. It appears that when a song is added to your library, it is not enforced, and I was able to play explicit songs. But if they are not in your library, then this setting must apply.

Thanks for the help in figuring this out!!!

Jun 13, 2024 12:42 PM in response to xtheguitarmanx

I’m not sure why some songs / Artists require them to be added to your library. I tested Doja Cat on my iPad and it played to HomePod just fine. It’s not added to my library. You might need to close the music App on your device and restart device again to see if this fixes it. The Music App might be misbehaving and needs to be closed to clear issues. Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 10, 2024 6:34 PM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you. You are correct, I failed to mention that I restarted everything, cable modem, router, both devices, and HomePod. I just did it again, while resetting the HomePod as well. I also changed the AirPlay & Handoff setting to Ask. I also followed @turingtest2's advice and turned off private Wi-Fi for this network (even though it has been working fine with it on for months).

Currently, I can now play many songs from Apple Music from iOS controlling the HomePod. However, there are a few artists that I cannot play any music from. It is VERY strange. I can play these artists music on my phone, I can AirPlay these artists from from my phone to the HomePod, I can use iOS to control my Apple TV and have it play these artists, I can ask Siri on the HomePod to play music by these artists, but I cannot use iOS to control the HomePod and play these particular artists. Their music is not in my library, it is only on Apple Music, which I have a subscription to.

It is almost like I need to clear the cache of these artists on the HomePod. Trying to play one of them from iOS controlling the HomePod was what alerted me to the issue in the first place!

Any ideas?

Jun 11, 2024 4:11 AM in response to xtheguitarmanx

Adding that I am able to play these artists through a different iOS device controlling the HomePod, whom I share my Apple Music subscription with. This makes me think it may be related to my specific Apple Music account, so I am unable to play them through two different devices of mine, and the only common factor would be my login.

Jun 12, 2024 9:38 AM in response to xtheguitarmanx

Hi,

HomePod is able to play content from your unhidden purchase history or iCloud Music Library with an Apple Music subscription. In principle if an item is in your iCloud Music Library on one device then it should be so everywhere. On your computer you can check to make sure that all of the relevant items are marked as purchased, matched, or uploaded. Anything that is waiting, ineligible, error, or similar is likely to have issues playing elsewhere. An example might be shared family purchases which you could potentially download to both your computer and a device, but which don't get added to your iCloud Music Library and thus wouldn't be available to stream from HomePod unless you removed those copies and added them directly from the Apple Music catalog.

tt2

Jun 12, 2024 11:08 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you tt2!

However, I do not own these songs in any form. I have only ever listened to them by searching Apple Music and streaming them. They are not added to my library. They are not downloaded on any device.

I will use an example. If I take control of the HomePod, I can play most music through it, directly from Apple Music, with no issues. But if I try to play any song by the artist Doja Cat (no judgement, please!), I cannot. Any song of hers, whether I have ever listened to it before or not. Again, never purchased any songs of hers, I do not own any albums, and they are not even added to my library, so they definitely are not downloaded on any devices.

The weird thing is that I can play any song of Doja Cat on my iPhone directly, or control my Apple TV and play those songs. And my wife, who I share my Apple Music subscription with, can play Doja Cat songs while Controlling the HomePod from her phone with no issues.

It is almost like there are a few artists that are somehow corrupted for me. Very odd!

Jun 13, 2024 10:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the suggestion. I added some songs to my library, and magically, it worked. But only for those specific songs.

To be clear, I am referring to being able to play the song using an iOS device to control the HomePod. I did not download them (auto download is off, and I double checked that they were not downloaded), but once they were in my library, I was able to play them via this method. I could only play songs that I added to my library, not any other song by the artist. Once I removed a song, I could no longer play it with this method on the HomePod.

It seems to be only a specific set of artists (seems like 3 artists right now) that this is happening with. I can't play any songs of these artists unless it is in my library. But other artists, ones that I have never listened to before, I can play all of their music via this method, without adding anything to my library.

So we have another piece of info to work with, but still some very strange behavior.

Can't Control HomePod music from other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.