13 inch iPad Pro M4

I currently use a 30 WATT power adapter to charge my 13 inch iPad Pro 1T. Would i see an increase in charging speeds if i used the 70 WATT charger? Also what is the max watt the iPad can support in charging. And what is the max watts the Magic Keyboard can charge the iPad through its USB C port?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jun 10, 2024 4:15 PM

2 replies

Jun 10, 2024 4:37 PM in response to Psychotech

Your iPad Pro M4 will not charge any faster if using a 70W Power Adapter.

While Apple has not released a definitive specification for the maximum charging rate, most models of iPad Pro charge at their fastest when charging from a 20W USB-C Power Adapter that supports USB PD (Power Delivery). You should note that to protect the Li-ion battery, the maximum charging rate is significantly reduced above 80% of maximum charge.

Higher output Power Adapters provide a higher "power budget", the additional power capabilities being useful in providing additional power for connected USB devices and other accessories (such as a USB-C hub, USB storage and Keyboard) while maintaining the ability to charge a discharged iPad battery at its maximum rate.

The iPad's maximum charging rate can be maintained using either the Magic Keyboard's USB-C pass-through charging port and the Keyboard's Smart Connector, or the iPad's own USB-C port.

Jun 10, 2024 4:47 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the detailed reply. I do have the toggle on for the maximum charge at 80% to keep the battery healthy in the long run. I rarely use the Magic keyboards pass through charging because I’ve noticed a significant slower charging rate however I do always have it plugged into the keyboard when using an external monitor. I’ll start using the Magic Keyboard pass through charging more often since it’s better for the battery in the long run.

13 inch iPad Pro M4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.