Unable to open .pkg file on my MacBook running macOS Monterey.

Hi, last week, I bought an audio plugin from a company called Sonnox.

I dowloaded the PKG installer and installed it without a problem.

They just started a summer sale and so I bought another one of their plugin.

But this time, only a week later, I gat an error message and cannot install the PKG.

I tried opening the one I downloaded and installed last week and get the same error!

What could have happened since last week?

How can I solve this issue?

Please can somebody help me?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 6:36 AM

JulienDuthy wrote:
Thanks. You think it's safe?

Not at this point.

FYI, when there is a problem, upgrading the OS without first addressing the problem is an open invitation to creating even more problems. It is best to resolve the current issue before doing any system-wide update or upgrade.

Work on fixing the Sonnox problem first. If Sonnox says there is an incompatibility with your Monterey v12.5.1 then do whatever update they suggest.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2024 6:36 AM in response to JulienDuthy

JulienDuthy wrote:
Thanks. You think it's safe?

Not at this point.

FYI, when there is a problem, upgrading the OS without first addressing the problem is an open invitation to creating even more problems. It is best to resolve the current issue before doing any system-wide update or upgrade.

Work on fixing the Sonnox problem first. If Sonnox says there is an incompatibility with your Monterey v12.5.1 then do whatever update they suggest.

Jun 11, 2024 6:44 AM in response to JulienDuthy

JulienDuthy wrote:

Yes but they also make people update their older devices so they become obsolete, don't they?

No, "they" don't do that. Updating a device doesn't make it obsolete. A device becomes obsolete when 1) it won't support the newest software and 2) Apple stops providing service for it. I think what you mean is that you're concerned that newer versions of the system software will cause your device to stop working properly. This is also unlikely. Apple won't permit you to install a version of the system software that your device can't support. At that point, it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to buy something new. If what you have continues to meet your needs and you'd rather spend the money on something else, that's fine. Lots of people do that.

I updated my iPhone 11 Pro all the way to iOS 17. It continued to work perfectly. I'm currently using a Watch 7. It runs watchOS 10 without a hitch.

I agree with MartinR that you should resolve the current issue before updating. That's very sound advice. Whether you decide to update after that is a separate question. But don't let internet conspiracy theories make the decision for you.

Unable to open .pkg file on my MacBook running macOS Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.