How can I save or email a Word document as a PDF file on MacBook?

when working in word or PowerPoint on my MacBook I used to be able to save as a pdf or email as a pdf file but that functionality no longer works since my last MacBook system update. I don’t have a printer installed so unable to save print as pdf then save it. Any suggestions on how I can now save or email a word document as a pdf file

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 2:05 AM

5 replies

Jun 12, 2024 5:51 AM in response to MissTMA

MissTMA wrote:

In word, when I save I say, Save As, and scroll down to File Format and select pdf. I then get an error message that says the document could not be saved. I also tried to save it by trying File, Share, Send pdf, and that does not work either, so I am unable to save my word docs on my Mac to pdf.

Are you using simple (0-9 and A-Z) file names or complex (! @ £ $ % ; :, etc)

If complex, use a different file name.

Jun 15, 2024 5:26 AM in response to MissTMA

In Word (I have v16.86), look for and click on the Share button in the far right toolbar. It will default to One-Drive Personal. Ignore that and click the Send a Copy button. When you click Send as: you have a choice of Word document or PDF. Choose the PDF option and then click Email as Attachment.

Apple Mail will open a compose window with your PDF attached. You can also click on that attached PDF and drag and drop it to your Desktop if the File menu > Save As > PDF remains dysfunctional (which it is not for me).

How can I save or email a Word document as a PDF file on MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.