Forgotten family child downtime passcode.

I've forgotten the 4 digit passcode to set the downtime schedule for my family kids. I have the latest iPadOS 17.5.1

I've tried a number of times so now it locks for 60 mins before I can try again. There is no "forgotten passcode".

Note: I do not need to reset the screen time passcode of my iPad as that's not an issue. And I'd rather not remove one or all the kids from family sharing.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 3:28 AM

2 replies

Jun 12, 2024 3:41 AM in response to MurraeN

Downtime is protected by the ScreenTime Passcode. As such, your issue likely concerns recovery of the ScreenTime Passcode - which, depending upon the iOS/iPadOS version and how ScreenTime was configured, will determine whether or not the ScreenTime Passcode can be reset.

You may (or may not) be aware of the following...

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode, the procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. More recent iPadOS versions have introduced a mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can potentially be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be complete reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten/unknown passcode is integral to the backup - and will be restored along with data.

If you remain unable to resolve the problem yourself, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Forgotten family child downtime passcode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.