1.5 Year Old Apple Watch 8 Dead

Hello - my Apple Watch 8 (41mm / GPS + Cellular) watch recently died (needed charge), so I put it on the standard issue charger. Rather than the normal charging icons, I noticed a different icon (charger chord with red symbol) but let it charge for the rest of the day. The watch will no longer turn on or show any icons, even after trying a different charger. I then tried to reset the watch (holding down both side buttons) with no success.

I took the watch into the Genius Bar to try to get help, but the representative, while very helpful, simply told me that the watch was dead and could be replaced at full price (for an old version watch).

Are there any alternatives to try to revive my watch? Very disappointing experience given that the watch is only ~18 months old.

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 10:12 AM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2024 11:01 AM in response to appleuserTX92

The sad truth is the watch has probably failed.

Here is what to try, if you’re so inclined.

Leave the watch on the charger for 24 hours. Make sure the back of the watch is clean and dry. Also, make sure the charger puck is clean and dry.

Use a different charging cable, ideally an Apple Cable in good condition.

Use a different charger. Again, Ideally and Apple charger that is higher voltage or at the minimum has the same specs as the one that came with the watch.

Try different outlets for the charger. You’d be surprised how many times a switched outlet prevented charging and created a poor charging experience.

If you try all that, you’ve really done all that a consumer can do.

Jun 12, 2024 11:30 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks, Jeff for the detailed / helpful reply. I'll definitely give these ideas a try. The Apple employee seemed to think it was a logic board issue rather than a charging / battery issue (still holds charge well). Nonetheless, will definitely try these out!

At the end of the day, it's somewhat appalling that a product can die this quickly and not have a better support option than buy a new one. I'm more sympathetic to longer-term battery issues - batteries degrade over time, that is an known issue, and consumers sort of need to get used to that problem.

But the whole product shouldn't just die after 18 months with no support - that really shouldn't be baked into the options tree.

Jun 12, 2024 11:56 AM in response to appleuserTX92

Please give my suggestions a serious try. I understand the frustration. I’m a former Apple Store manager. I have all kinds of analogies and metaphors but they don’t help ease the pain of product not living up to the expectations and hopes we have for a major purchase.

We can explore options after you try my suggestions, and go from there. Please don’t get impatient, just give it time.

1.5 Year Old Apple Watch 8 Dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.