Airdrop BAD behavior - Can't turn off Mac notifications

Greetings: When I airdrop to my Mac Mini (running Ventura) I get a sound notification, and then a window opens showing the downloaded file.

When I airdrop to my brand-new MacBook Air (running Sonoma), I get a the noise, but then a notification banner won't go away until I am forced to manually click on it. This is AN ANNOYANCE.

I'd much prefer the former to the latter, but can't find the way to change this via notifications or airdrop settings on the new machine. I could deal with the notification if it went away on its own, but I don't want an option every time I move something to the new machine--I want to set this and forget it. Notifications are something I'd turn off completely if I could.

How do I get the behavior the same on both macs? This doesn't seem to have any Control Center or System Settings switch, so does anyone have a command line or other fix for this?

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 9:32 PM

3 replies

Jun 13, 2024 2:27 AM in response to skwee

Not sure this will stop the " ANNOYANCE. "

Receive items using AirDrop

When someone uses AirDrop to send an item to you on your Mac, you can choose whether to accept and save it.

If you send an item from one device to another (for example, from your iPhone to your Mac), and you’re signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on both devices, the item is automatically accepted and saved.

1. In the AirDrop notification on your Mac, click the Accept pop-up menu, then choose an option.
  2. Look for the item in your Downloads folder or the app you saved the item to.

If someone who wants to send you a file can’t see your Mac, make sure you’ve set it up to allow others to send items to you using AirDrop.

Jun 13, 2024 8:54 AM in response to PRP_53

Good morning--thank you for the response.

As to : In the AirDrop notification on your Mac, click the Accept pop-up menu, then choose an option.

On my Ventura machine, any AirDropped file is automatically set to show in the downloads folder, and I can close that with the Cmd + W keystroke. No trackpad or mouse needed. No extra steps. But I am now needing to spend a lot of time clicking tiny Xs or swiping right on notifications that take up a ton of screen space and cover up my work.

What I don't get is why the behavior has changed or why I can't set the notification preference anymore. I am signed in with the same Apple ID on both machines--there should be a way to turn off notifications for the myriad things I just sent to myself.

As for 2. Look for the item in your Downloads folder or the app you saved the item to.

I know that's where they go--I want that window to automatically open so I don't have to take the time to choose this every. single. time.

Notifications are not wanted. I've turned them off for years. Do Not Disturb scheduling fixes this on my other machines. But AirDrop is finding a way through this and I didn't just drop 2

appreciate the input.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 13, 2024 10:06 AM in response to skwee

Ok, so just got off the phone with a senior support tech, and while he was on the phone with me, we tried AirDropping something over and it worked as expected.

The expected behavior was there for the duration that I was screen sharing, and for about three individual file transfers after I hung up, but then I sent a folder over and it reverted back to the sticky alerts. :(

Airdrop BAD behavior - Can't turn off Mac notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.