Error 4ns/1/40000000:vdor-17.917

My MacBook pro crashed. I thought that the reason is faulty hard drive, but when installing new operating system on it crashed. Hardware diagnostics gave me this error code 4ns/1/40000000:vdor-17.917. Can anyone tell me what it means?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 9:14 AM

the numerical readings provided with the error sometimes provide additional insights.

In this case a reading of 17.91 for a Voltage sensor suggests the error is from a charging or battery-related sensor, because Voltages around 20 Volts are only for battery charging. Digital logic runs mostly on 5 Volts and 3 volts, with occasional use of 12 Volts.

In obscure cases where you see readings very close to Zero, or very close to a power of 2, (such as 126, when we know 128 is a power of 2) it MIGHT indicate a sensor that is disconnected or failed rather than a circuit problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2024 9:14 AM in response to Lasse1957

the numerical readings provided with the error sometimes provide additional insights.

In this case a reading of 17.91 for a Voltage sensor suggests the error is from a charging or battery-related sensor, because Voltages around 20 Volts are only for battery charging. Digital logic runs mostly on 5 Volts and 3 volts, with occasional use of 12 Volts.

In obscure cases where you see readings very close to Zero, or very close to a power of 2, (such as 126, when we know 128 is a power of 2) it MIGHT indicate a sensor that is disconnected or failed rather than a circuit problem.

Jun 13, 2024 5:46 AM in response to Lasse1957

Lasse1957 wrote:

My MacBook pro crashed. I thought that the reason is faulty hard drive, but when installing new operating system on it crashed. Hardware diagnostics gave me this error code 4ns/1/40000000:vdor-17.917. Can anyone tell me what it means?

4SNS: System sensor voltage error

You have a hardware failure — the resolve is take it in if you want it repaired

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

Error 4ns/1/40000000:vdor-17.917

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.