Stage Manager on iPad with Magic Keyboard : How to bring up recent apps

I know my tablet is literally right in front of me and I could just lift my finger and swipe from the left side of the screen to bring the recent apps/stages.

But is there a gesture I could use on the Magic Keyboard to do the same?

iPad Pro (M4, 2024)

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 4:06 AM

9 replies

Jun 13, 2024 4:41 AM in response to xTheEvilDonutx

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but the two-finger right-swipe gesture that you describe is replicated, using the Keyboard's TouchPad, with a three-finger right-swipe.

Remember, most screen swipe gestures are available from the TouchPad using an additional finger - i.e., a two-finger screen swipe becomes a three-finger TouchPad swipe...

I use these daily, without even thinking about it:

Trackpad gestures for iPad - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2024 6:28 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

Hmmm...

There are some situations where a different TouchPad gesture may be required - such as when an App is displayed full screen.

By example, a left-swipe to the screen edge, followed by another left-swipe, will expose the open stages.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2abc9269-ef66-4694-a43a-1ae31c74d08f

Well that works. Thanks!

Not the most elegant way of doing it but it does exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you friend!

Jun 13, 2024 4:43 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but the two-finger right-swipe gesture that you describe is replicated, using the Keyboard's TouchPad, with a three-finger right-swipe.

Remember, most screen swipe gestures are available from the TouchPad using an additional finger - i.e., a two-finger screen swipe becomes a three-finger TouchPad swipe...

I use these daily, without even thinking about it.

You are indeed missing something as I failed to mention that the gesture I am referring to is swiping from the left of the screen with ONE finger. Sorry for the confusion.

Try as I might I cannot find a way to replicate this on the Magic Keyboard’s trackpad. I’ve searched the net and would not find anything. Perhaps I just screwed up while searching but so far I’ve found nothing.

Jun 13, 2024 8:44 AM in response to xTheEvilDonutx

Elegant or not, this gesture clearly produces the outcome that you are looking for. 🙂

Having now worked through and identified your particular difficulty, there's another way to achieve the same result... that may or may not work for you...

Using the TouchPad, swipe to the left moving the cursor to the left-edge of the screen (you'll notice the pointer change shape) - then, without lifting your finger from the TouchPad, force-touch (i.e., press to click) to expose the open stages.

This effectively shortens the required gesture to a single action - instead of two.

Stage Manager on iPad with Magic Keyboard : How to bring up recent apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.